Snails in My Pond ... Where Did They Come From?

Reaction score
As I was cleaning string algae of out my raised pond this morning, I noticed that the algae was covered with snails ... lots and lots of snails.

Since I live in the desert of rural Arizona, I'm wondering if anyone has an idea as to where they came from.

I didn't buy 'em.

I didn't put them in the pond.

Although I purchased a few pond plants last spring, I didn't buy that many and I know there weren't any snails I put in the pond.

I can understand birds flying over the fence, ground squirrels burrowing under the fence, and lizards slithering between fence posts.

Last year I had a problem with Sonora toads. I think the toads had burrowed deep into the ground to hibernate until the winter rains came. When the rains came, they rejoiced by jumping into my pond and making loud hideous noises at two in the morning.

I spent a couple of hours stalking the edges of my pond with a pole net in one hand and a flashlight in the other. Whenever I heard a croak, I'd flip on the light, find the toad, net it, and dump it in a container for later disposal.

I think I got all of the toads because this problem hasn't reoccurred ... but snails? I can't imagine where they came.

Do snails burrow in the ground and hibernate like toads until the rains come again?

Reaction score
Odd things come on plants that we introduce to our ponds. Last year I bought some water hyacinths off of ebay. Swooshed them around in water and inspected them. Months later I noticed this little bitty fish coming up to eat with the koi. No idea where he came from. He never got any bigger.

Reaction score
From what I understand, snail eggs can lay dormant for quite some time...(slugs can last a few years) and aquatic snail eggs are usually just a tiny clearish slimy spot, REALLY hard to spot on a plant. Some probably just hitched a ride.

Reaction score
Plants introduced is the best way.

I had a little infestation of small snails in two of my filters last year, luckly they didn't make it into the pond. This year I've only found a couple in one the filters.

I have plenty of trapdoor snails, those are fine.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I found a few in my middle water fall..i suck it out with my wet vac its only about a 100 gal it has a few small fry in it from the spring fling.. to small to make a meal out of them ..
I would guess birds bring them in the birds hang out on the big flat rock that spills to my lower pond

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
After thirty years of having dozen aquariums in my home, I have found if and when I get a rash of unwanted snails, is because I didn't rinse or dip my plants in a snail killing solution.

Same with my small ponds outside. I have to check all my purchased plants carefully before transpppplanting and putting them in my pond. That doesn't always guarentee that I will be able to remove all of thier eggs, or to small too see snails.

Reaction score
kirscp said:
Plants introduced is the best way.

I had a little infestation of small snails in two of my filters last year, luckly they didn't make it into the pond. This year I've only found a couple in one the filters.

I have plenty of trapdoor snails, those are fine.

Are those the Japanese Trapdoor snails? I've been trying to buy those here and no one has them. Figure I'll order some online soon.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have approximately twenty trap door snails in my 365 gallon pond. All are doing a good job working on the existing algee, and they seem to clean up any left overs that sink to the buttom.

Some I found in a lake near my home, and the rest I ordered from Tricker.com. As far as shape and size, they all look about the same.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I don't have any experience with Trap Doors, how fast do they multiply and what is their lifespan?

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Koillector said:
Are those the Japanese Trapdoor snails? I've been trying to buy those here and no one has them. Figure I'll order some online soon.

You can order the same trap door snails that are about the size of a fifty cent piece online from tricker.com.

I ordered some from them about two years ago, and I found some locally near here in Puyallup, WA at Hoshi Koi pond and koi supply.

Happy ponding,
Rich

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
DrDave said:
Welcome to the forum. I don't have any experience with Trap Doors, how fast do they multiply and what is their lifespan?

The trap door snails that I have produce live baby snails about once a year. I have had some for as long as four years, but not sure what their actual life expectancy is.

Happy ponding,
Rich

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
I've got many trapdoor snails. I added five from a local friend's pond in May, and now see many different sizes all the time. They eventually work their way down to the bottom drain, to be caught in my leaf basket. From there, I just dump them into the top of my filter (which is full of snails of all types), and let them start their journey all over again. Or whatever they want to do.

Ask a Question