Where did they come from?

Reaction score
Today I saw small fish in my small upper pond that feeds into my Koi pond. They are (so far) about 1/4 inch to 1 inch in length. I cannot tell what they are and where they came from? I did not put them there. I know they are not tadpoles.

Any ideas? Anyone just have fish show up?

Dave

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Every year I get small fish in one of my creeks that is fed from my main pond and the creek flows into the main pond. The only way they can get there unless something picks them up and puts them in the creek is they travel through my skimmer to my pump then out to the creek. I also thought that it was from a plant that I moved from the main pond to the creek but this past year I made sure I did not move any plants in this manner and I still ended up with about 12 fish that I could see before it got filled in with hyacinth and lettuce. It must be pure luck for them to make it to the creek because once the fish make it past the pump there is a Y that takes half the water to the waterfall and the other half towards my two creeks then about another 30 feet they travel to get to a T where it splits to feed my two creeks. I only ever see them in the one creek, the other creek has a filter on it so they probably get stuck and die in it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have fry in our deck pond, those suckers had to travel through a fine net, through a clear water pump (it handles no solids) up around 50 feet of piping down a small water fall to make it to the deck pond, but there they are. They will need to be caught and put in the large pond, this pond will freeze solid during winter.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I had tadpoles get into my skippy filter. They made into the skimmer, past the pre filter screen, thru the pump and up thru all the filter pads in my skippy. They eventually made it to the return tube and went for one heck of a ride down the waterfall. Crazy how they could make it thru all those things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Anyone ever consider that maybe eggs are floating loose after they are fertilized? Eggs would be much more likely to make it through filters and survive being sucked into pumps. I can't imagine live fish surviving the trip through the pump impellers.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Anyone ever consider that maybe eggs are floating loose after they are fertilized? Eggs would be much more likely to make it through filters and survive being sucked into pumps. I can't imagine live fish surviving the trip through the pump impellers.

That is what I was thinking, eggs not fish, my clear water pump has tight tolerance, we keep a fine net bag over the intake, but an egg could make it through.

Ask a Question