Where do I start?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve had a relatively successful pond, 8’ x 10’ approximately with a gradual depth of I’d guess 3 +\~. Started with 24 feeder goldfish 7 yrs ago and mosquito fish. A bullfrog and mate, moved in 4 years ago. I just removed the last goldfish 3 days ago plus many dead tadpoles. Some of my surrounding plant life had moved into the pond, calla lilies and cannas, plus a corkscrew willow. Bamboo is trying hard as well. I tried to pull out some of the callas and I guess the muck which stunk did the goldfish in. The mosquitoe fish seem fine. I’m adding water quite often and I don’t know if there is a leak in the liner or the plant life is sucking it up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’m in my 80’s and can’t do it myself. Don’t be too harsh I had a very sick hubby during all this. Thanks very much.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I’ve had a relatively successful pond, 8’ x 10’ approximately with a gradual depth of I’d guess 3 +\~. Started with 24 feeder goldfish 7 yrs ago and mosquito fish. A bullfrog and mate, moved in 4 years ago. I just removed the last goldfish 3 days ago plus many dead tadpoles. Some of my surrounding plant life had moved into the pond, calla lilies and cannas, plus a corkscrew willow. Bamboo is trying hard as well. I tried to pull out some of the callas and I guess the muck which stunk did the goldfish in. The mosquitoe fish seem fine. I’m adding water quite often and I don’t know if there is a leak in the liner or the plant life is sucking it up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’m in my 80’s and can’t do it myself. Don’t be too harsh I had a very sick hubby during all this. Thanks very much.
Sorry to hear about your sick hubby and hope he is well now. Turn off all your pumps and waterfalls if you have any and just let the water sit there and see how far it will go down till it stops. Then if you can get in there, check all around the inside walls of the pond where the water level is at to see if anything close to that waterline has a hole or a tear in it. Use your hands to feel for anything as sometimes small holes are hard to see. Could be if you have a lot of plants or high heat that it is just sucking it up or evaporating too. Folds in the liner can siphon it up and over the edge also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Is the willow in the pond? It would be sucking up a lot of water and it’s roots might try to go through the liner. Could you cut it way back and see if the water loss is reduced. Same with the bamboo I think.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that your hubby is sick, I hope he is better. If you live near the bootheel of Missouri I could come and help you with your pond. Just let me know.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that your hubby is sick, I hope he is better. If you live near the bootheel of Missouri I could come and help you with your pond. Just let me know.
Very nice of you to offer to help her, haven't seen her around lately, hope she is ok and it does not say anywhere about where @Paintlady lives :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Seeking advice for a pond issue: recently removed goldfish and experiencing water loss. Unsure if liner leak or plant absorption. Open to suggestions; physical limitations due to age. Thanks for understanding.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
froggy hangs.gif
@MasonJensen
You will get better results if you start a brand new thread post in the welcome section and introduce yourself and then make another thread about your situation you would like help with.

Ask a Question