Which dechlorinator?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I just ordered Prime. In the past I've used Microbe- Lift's decholrinator, as we don't have chloramine in our water. I became concerned about chloramine being added, when I read about municipalities adding it under some circumstances.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I use Prime, as well. It is available where you are? Or can you order, like from Amazon.com?
Prime is my first choice, Aquasafe is my second. Prime is more costly but also more concentrated.
I just ordered Prime. In the past I've used Microbe- Lift's decholrinator, as we don't have chloramine in our water. I became concerned about chloramine being added, when I read about municipalities adding it under some circumstances.
Prime is available here and I was also thinking to get one, but here its 250ml pack for around $11.
And other brand are also in almost same price except some local ones which are 1000ml for $9 http://www.ebay.in/itm/Aquarium-fis...lls-rid-all-/261923890433?hash=item3cfbe16501

Thats why confused. :(

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bought a new bottle of Prime today -- the 250ml size. It was around $11 (and some change), but on sale for $9-something at PetSmart.

If you have chlorine and chloramines in your water, be sure it says it's for both.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Ohh...If possible I'll get Prime only, but first I should get my water tested, to find the quantity of available nutrients in water. It'll help in getting good additives if needed.
Luckily many of my neighbours are from Defance labs and medical labs, I'll talk to them if they can help in testing. lol

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
What brand product do you use to neutralize the chlorine/chloramine of tap water?

Sodium Thiosulfate (post of mine talking about dosage)... Very cheap... will break and neutralize the chlorine bond within chloramine, but, since chloramine is chlorine plus ammonia, a residual of ammonia is left behind in you pond... If you built a good enough biological filtration, then your biological filtration can handle this ammonia without any problems at all... If you are unsure about your biological filtration capabilities, then any of the products mentioned above should be ok since I believe they always temporarily neutralize the ammonia within chloramine so to allow your biofiltration to consume the ammonia before any problems can occur.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I was looking
Sodium Thiosulfate (post of mine talking about dosage)... Very cheap... will break and neutralize the chlorine bond within chloramine, but, since chloramine is chlorine plus ammonia, a residual of ammonia is left behind in you pond... If you built a good enough biological filtration, then your biological filtration can handle this ammonia without any problems at all... If you are unsure about your biological filtration capabilities, then any of the products mentioned above should be ok since I believe they always temporarily neutralize the ammonia within chloramine so to allow your biofiltration to consume the ammonia before any problems can occur.
I think the Sodium Thiosulfate is not available locally here but while looking for it I found that the Seachem Safe is dry form of Prime and is more concentrated than liquid prime so it will also be very cheap to use
  • Chlorine: use 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 1625 L (450 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).
  • Chloramine: use 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 1250 L (300 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).
  • Ammonia: use 5 g (1 tsp.*) to each 400 L (100 gallons*) of tap water (removes 4 ppm).
What say? Anyone have used it before?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I know someone on another forum who uses it regularly. I plan on using it next summer, for it's cost effectiveness.

Ask a Question