Which kind of pond substrate looks best?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love the look of a pond with rock lining the inside, but when I built my pond I was on a tight budget so I skipped the rock. I didn't buy any rock - I scavenged them all at building sites and along the road. As said before, once the algae coats the sides of the liner, it doesn't look too bad. I also use a pond-vac to clean the bottom of the pond in the spring and fall, so having no rock on the bottom makes that easier.

I have always loved your pond @cas Though you used many of the materials that can make the ponds edg look like a string of pearls you did a greta job breaking up the edges with your plants, each plant has it's own shape and color and compliments the next just goes to show it doesn't need to be 2,000 pound boulders " (only some of us have rocks on the brain)"

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Even EPDM liners (which last 20 years plus) degrade more quickly in direct sun. I don’t know what depth of water is required to protect it from the sun. We are a bit obsessive about ensurIng every bit of liner is covered by rocks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As you should be, I have an rv that has basically been out in the sun day in day out since 2012 and i have had to replace epdm gaskets. And for all the work i put into my pond i want a heck of a lot more years then 8 If epdm is kept cool and out of uv rays it can last a heck of a lot longer then 20 years

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Cant say for sure with epdm, but if it is anything like geo textile filter fabrics woven and non woven last pretty much forever if kept out of the sun. I had to demo out old bulkheads (stone or wood) that are over 50 years old and the filter cloth under it is in good shape Where it has been protected from the sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When the liner ages and gets covered in a fine film of algae it can look natural . the folds if you even pay attention as you set the liner and the water can look like fractures in the ledge . but it's just your rubber. If you have a chance of water under the liner i would have to say theres little choice , rock it is . Now i do have rock in my pond big rock and while the bald liner can have its own effect and definate benifit in cleaning it just doesn't have the same pop as boulders do .

@GBBUDD ; nice videos overall. One thing I noted is you're using some sort of gopro type on a stick to film these, right? I use to do the same. Last year, I modified an RC boat to accept my gopro unit and the type of video I can now get is tremendously better. Maybe this is of interest? IMO, beats having to walk around approximating what you're seeing. The RC boat gives different viewing angles/perspectives, all while sitting in a chair using a remote. Modification wasn't hard; just add some sort of bracket that will fit your gopro housing and voila! you're good to go. I even added a telescoping unit with swivel joint to the bottom of my bracket so I can get waterline as well as deep, bottom of the pond footage.

And because I didn't have one and was shopping anyway, I got one that is an alligator head, which can double for 'pond ornament' too! Check online as I found the alligator head was an easy modify.

Just an idea!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD ; nice videos overall. One thing I noted is you're using some sort of gopro type on a stick to film these, right? I use to do the same. Last year, I modified an RC boat to accept my gopro unit and the type of video I can now get is tremendously better. Maybe this is of interest? IMO, beats having to walk around approximating what you're seeing. The RC boat gives different viewing angles/perspectives, all while sitting in a chair using a remote. Modification wasn't hard; just add some sort of bracket that will fit your gopro housing and voila! you're good to go. I even added a telescoping unit to the bottom of my bracket so I can get waterline as well as deep, bottom of the pond footage.

And because I didn't have one and was shopping anyway, I got one that is an alligator head, which can double for 'pond ornament' too! Check online as I found the alligator head was an easy modify.

Just an idea!
Creative.
yes i did use a go pro on some of the videos I believe the underwater you picked out was just that a go pro but it was with a floating handle . dropped it in the water and let it float around the pond this helped to show any deficiencies in flow . the gopro simply spun around in the currents there was no editing just it floating in the current.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe this spring IF i have the time i may do a serious video and photographing as it may be my last.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Creative.
yes i did use a go pro on some of the videos I believe the underwater you picked out was just that a go pro but it was with a floating handle . dropped it in the water and let it float around the pond this helped to show any deficiencies in flow . the gopro simply spun around in the currents there was no editing just it floating in the current.
what's really nice to me is I can 'set up' my video better now by positioning the camera AWAY from the sun depending on time of day. I can also lurk among the horwort or sit under the waterfall. Really opens up this part of the hobby for me. And I can tell by your photography, this is something youre into as well. I'll post a pic of my set up;

210218 - gatorcam components 1.jpg
210218 - gatorcam components.jpg

Ask a Question