white comet

Reaction score
I had one of my Sarassa Comets turn white. It was 40% red and turned completely white (except for the yellowish head) in just a few weeks. It looked very much like the picture from BBK. I found it rather striking.

I did a little looking on the internet, this is what I found.

While we know how a goldfish changes color, no one has defined “why” a goldfish changes color. Scientists have identified two types of color changes in fish: physiological and morphological. Physiological color changes are due to the spreading out or aggregation of chromatosomes. When the chromatosomes are spread throughout the cell, the color is more pronounced to the naked eye. However, when the chromatosomes aggregate in the center of the cell, the color is muted or not visible. Morphological color changes, on the other hand, are due to a change in the number of chromatophores. So a fish that loses a number of melanophores will appear lighter, and a fish that gains melanophores will appear darker. Physiological color changes can become morphological color changes over time. For example, a fish that is kept in a tank with a dark background and dark rocks will become darker, initially because of movement of melanosomes in the already existing melanophores. However, if enough time goes buy, the fish will start to produce more melanophores and then the color change is considered morphological.
The common phenomenon of black goldfish turning orange (black is the most unstable color in fish) or young goldfish losing black markings as they grow is an example of a morphological color change. As the fish mature, they lose melanophores in a process called apoptosis. Apoptosis is directed cell death, or cellular suicide, and is an important phenomenon in many aspects of development. However, the exact molecular cues that tell a cell it is time to die are still very mysterious. In addition to apoptosis, goldfish that lose black coloration are also suppressing the birth of new melanophores. The loss of melanophores reveals the other pigment cells present in the skin. The type and extent of color change a young fish will go through depends on their individual genetic makeup, and there is a lot of variation between individuals! Some fish even go through a second color change from the destruction of xanthophores (red pigment cells).
Goldfish tend to change color. Most change during the first year of life, but others change throughout their lifetimes. Inexpensive goldfish change in unpredictable ways because their parentage is uncertain and their color genes represent a random mix. Expensive "purebred" goldfish should exhibit significantly more predictable changes, achieving similar coloration of their parents as they mature. But be warned: If you purchase young (under a year or so), high-quality goldfish you cannot be certain that the colors you see are the colors you'll end up with a year later.
The single most important determinant of goldfish coloring is genes. What they inherit from mom and dad makes all the difference.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
most of the big ones are about 8 years old now oldhead but yes they are huge !!
thanks for that info phylal
just one point if its down to genes my white ones parents were both orange

Reaction score
I have a gold fishe that started black, turned orage, then back to black and now mostly orange. This has happened over a 9 month period and he may still be changing. Several of my other fish do it too. I had to stop naming my fish after their markings as they would change so much!

BBK

Reaction score
Well, I found out which one of my goldfish spawned this year. One of the fry is in the process of turning white.

I got some pictures, but the only one that turned out was one of him doing a backflip.

100_0156.jpg

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
oooh yes it does look like hes turning white :icon_smile:
my white one spawned too but i dont think any of mine are white ...mind you still very small and brown ... shame you and oldhead are way across the pond we could try a bit of white breeding !!! :goldfish:

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
sadly i found my white comet dead this morning no marks or anything on her ..she was one of the first born in my pond so she was about 8 years old do you think she may just have died of old age .? .had noticed that she hadnt been quite so lively lately ...all other fish seem ok

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
These things happen. I lost a 2 year old, 10" Kohaku over the weekend. Not a mark on it, no trace of any known problem. 70 other Koi in the ponds and no other deaths. All are eating and look fine.

Ask a Question