White lump and red streak on fish tail?

Reaction score
Hi, Newbie here.

My father passed away a couple of years ago, and ever since I've looked after our garden pond with no problems at all. However today I noticed some lumps on one of the fish (not sure what type of fish it is, gold, large wavy tail, about 8-9'' in length), I know this narrows it down!!!

I'm really concerned about the tail. Almost in the middle is a large white/cream coloured lump, with a red streak coming from the end of the lump to the tail. Its obviously not normal, and I've no idea what it is. Perhaps some sort of parasite?? Any help is appreciated. I've attached a couple of pictures that aren't great, but this lump and red streak are clearly visible.

1.jpeg2.jpeg

Also, on the same fish, I've also noticed a couple of lumps on the skin, 3 in total. Again, I dont know what these are. Again, you can see one of the lumps in the pictures.

3.jpeg

Any help in trying to treat this would be great. As mentioned, I've never had any problems with the fish before. The pond has been in the garden for 17 years. After looking at the other fish in the pond, this is the only one with these lumps??

Please see pics. Many Thanks

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Looks to me like a case of carp pox. Fairly common in the spring, then tends to disappear again. I've had it on a few fish over the years, and never lost one. By the way, that is a comet goldfish.
John

Ask a Question