White spots on my goldfish

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know what fish lice look like. I accidently purchased a fish that had one and didn't realize it until it was in the bag. We removed it before putting it in our pond. Definitely not lice. Could just be random scale color difference...? Perhaps I just have more work to do on water quality.

The nodules on the dorsal fin I think they come and go. That's a pretty close up picture, but just looking at the fish they really aren't noticeable which is why I don't think it's ich. I'm assuming that's just minor spots of damage that are repairing themselves. I've looked at many pictures of fish with ich to familiarize myself with it and they just don't look like that.

If I can catch one of them again and feel brave I might do some scraping to see what I can see. I think they might be on to me now though. I know a fish's memory is only supposed to be three weeks, but somehow they always seem to remember that the net means trouble.
Three months, or so they say.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I think your fish has either been through the wars somewhat Kira there are scales that have been damaged that now appear to be regenerating and as such they are nothing much to worry about the white spots on the dorsal could well be what we call dings where the fins of the fish hit something you get white spots that seem like white pimples they normally disapear as the fins repair themselves with .
May I ask if your fish have been netted at all in the last month or two as bad netting techniques can cause damage like you are seeing scale wise .
I can asure you what we an see isnt that much to worry about however it does show you care .
May I suggest a few good books to you available on Amazon US :-

The Manual of Fish Health ISBN 0861013869. Dr Chris Andrews Adrian Exell, Dr Neville Carrington.

It should give you a good grounding on fish health issues and was the veryu first book in our now extensive fish health library:-

Hand Book of Fish Diseases (All Fish) ISBN 0866227032. Dieter Untergasser.

These should help you with fish health issues

Next issue dechloinating large amounts of water , rather tan use dechloination liquid why not get one of these :-

http://www.vyair.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=67

They do 100,000's of gallons before you need change the filters , it means you can slowly trickle water into the pond via your hosepipe without having to stop to add more dechlorinator each time

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The only netting I've done in the past year was getting Sprinkles for pictures. We pretty much never net our fish. The other three were only netted when being bought a few months ago. I've seen netting go wrong before when buying fish, but I was pretty careful with Sprinkles and had no problems. I'm considering removing some rocks we have sitting at the base of our cattails. Could be the fish are getting into those shallower areas and scraping themselves up.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Ask a Question