White spots on Koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have about 3 year old Koi that about a week ago developed white large whitish spots on their body. It does not appear as on top of the scales but rather inside. I first thought it was scraped. Koi is very active, eats and behalves as usual. Local pond shop recommended salt baths to treat for ulcer or parasites. They also recommend to introduce salt into pond itself.
Pond is about 1500gl, 4 years old with plants. Filtration and waterfall working 365, 24/7. Water tests show slightly elevated and high hardness. Total 8 kois I don't see anything unusual in all others. They slightly off colors but I attribute this to coming from winter.
I have not done water change yet or any additions. Have UV running. A month ago vacuumed bottom and added water. Water is added through chlorine-removing filter. Added some anti algae treatment
Can you please help me identify if this is a disease indeed and safest way to treat it. On the photo it is orange with black, black eyelashes koi. It is our favorite.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 4,433
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 1,493
  • IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 1,314

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
looks like it so you may need to move him to a tank and treat him before he infects the other fish and the sooner the better.One of the experts on here can tell you better than me

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
He looks ulcerated pretty bad. I would also recomend you get him to qt soon. I've seen tank fish look like this and it's usually from poor water conditions such as high nitrates and lack of water changes. You mention water tests,what were your exact numbers? Other then that they look fat and happy,I have one just like your orange and black. Just curious,how long are they right now?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks. I'm using Tetra test strips. tested twice and it shows safe Nitrates and Nitrites. PH was in Acceptable range around 8. It was showing Hard water, about 150 or more. Those are about 12"-15" long. You all mention quarantine but I have no set up for this. What are the minimal requirements I can set up quick? Should I still try to do Salt bath for this guy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
You could use a stock tank from Tractor Supply, as a QT, or an Intex pool. I personally think it would be stressful on the fish to try and move him twice, once for a salt bath and then later to QT. I'd work on getting a QT set up, do you have anything you could use?

I would not salt your entire pond, but rather your QT tank.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Minimum would be 50 gallons,clean aerated water is as therapeutic as anything else. I'm hoping one of the people who have experienced this in pond fish chine in for you. I had something similar happen quite a while back with my small pond and a koi. I did daily 25% water changes and I used melafix though I doubt melafix really did as much as the better water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for all the suggestions. I just want to make sure I'm treating the right illness and not misdiagnose. From what I see online as example ulcer photos are all reddish wounds. My koi has white sports. May be it just early stage caught

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
are your fish breeding yep because it could also be an injury from that .I know my aggie ( KOI) hurt her nose when she was after a frog .She loves to catch the frogs and suck there insides out and I get to net out the leftovers .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What can be seen in the photos is inconclusive. It is not ulcers. It does appear to be missing scales caused by some type of abrasion. If this is the case, they will re-grow on their own. If there is nothing untoward in the fish's behavior I would not worry just yet. Keep an eye on him/her watching for any worsening of condition. In the meantime, arrange for quarantine whether you use it or not. It may be needed in the future. Do not salt your pond.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking at those darker circular marks back and lower of the white spots as what I thought was ulcers. If that is just markings then I agree with meyer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank! Is it worth just to pull him out and take a closer look? May be do a quick salt bath if looks ulcerous. I never pulled one out and not sure if this stress of catching not going to do more harm than good...I ordered Microbe-Lift Parazoryne and API Pondcare Stress Coat Pond Water Conditioner on Amazon and want to try both ( not in the same time) I took some more pictures and still concerned about areas near tail. They do look like craters?
Analysis till paralysis, I know.

Attachments

• DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 1,109
  • DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 690
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 741

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If the circular grey areas were indeed caused by damage, they have evidently healed on their own as there is no trace of redness or inflammation. I would not add either of the treatments that you have ordered, If there was a real problem, this fish would be manifesting symptoms of severe stress. Additionally, no other fish appear to have any issues. Never toss a treatment into a pond unless an issue has been accurately identified.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It just looks like he rubbed on something. Should heal itself. I have one that did the same thing. Picture is of him in a aquarium for the winter. As long as it doesn't get red or fuzzy white it should be fine. If it does then pull him out and dry the wound, clean with peroxide on a q-tip and cover with neosporin. It you want to seal the wound you can coat the neosporin with denture powder but is easier to re-treat without it. Yes, this works and have been using it for years with great success!

Attachments

• 20181028_084836.jpg
    20181028_084836.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 459

Ask a Question