Why did my water clear?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I upgraded to a large aerator last summer and couldn't believe how much it helped with algae and water clarity. Currently my water is very clear and I'm only running one of my two pumps and haven't turned on the water fall. I have two aerators, the big one is Hakko 80, which I run in the summer and am currently running a Pond Master AP-20. I believe aeration makes a difference.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
What is the purpose of the activated charcoal?

Activated charcoal is used for the removal of small molecule organic contaminants. (such as: things that discolour your water, pesticides, dissolved organic carbon in general)
It can be made from coal or coconut shells.

The maximum useful lifespan of activated charcoal is about 1 month.

M

MariaTeresa

I noticed that I have a lot of string algae growing....perhaps that has something to do with the water clarity. I don't mind string algae...the fish like to eat it and I figure it is a plant so it must be good for the water.

M

MariaTeresa

MitchM-- thank you for the explanation.I actually have a bag of activated charcoal (it came in a kit with a bag of bioballs and a bag of ceramic pieces)....I just can't use it without a functioning pump. But it is nice to know what it is used for!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was told that the use of activated charcoal in a pressure filter does not last as long but in a normal filter it can last more than 6 months as long as it is cleaned and rinsed and you do not use chemicals in your pond to break it down or clog it ,it is good for longer .Since I really use no chemicals and when i use peroxide I take it out .The stuff I get is not the normal stuff you buy this is for commercial use for city water treatment before the other stuff is added to the water and goes out to customers .I just think they tell you that stuff so you will buy more .The buckets are all sealed and to get the seal off is a nightmare .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
....I just think they tell you that stuff so you will buy more .The buckets are all sealed and to get the seal off is a nightmare .

No, the organic carbon binds to the activated charcoal. The pores fill up and cannot be cleaned.
The buckets are sealed as tight as they are because the activated charcoal will adsorb impurities from the air that it is exposed to.

If anyone is interested in the actual process, there are a great couple of articles at Advanced Aquarist.:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/1/aafeature1/
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/2/aafeature1/

Last edited:

Ask a Question