Why DIY Filters?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
For me, it's also about the journey rather than just the destination. I enjoy the research, the planning and actually making it. There's great satisfaction in the end result, and then finding improvements and making adjustments.

Reaction score
Okay do-it-yourselfers. I would like to build a filter to feed the waterfall. The idea is to have it buried behind the falls and the water flow through a pipe into a small pool the feeds the falls. I was thinking of use a storage tote as the container. Which tote would withstand being buried without cracking or falling apart the longest?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Maybe check your local farm & feed stores for a food or water container for cattle. They are made to withstand a lot of abuse. You could use what ever you wanted to cover it.

Reaction score
You will need to consider rate of flow too. Since it will be buried, you won't (easily) be able to do a gravity flow system. If you get a large stock take, and plan to cover it somehow, you will probably end up with your output on the top. If it were me, I would consider putting a pump inside your stock take, assuming you want a high flow rate. This, however will create some technical issues. You will be pumping the same water you are trying to filter. This, however, is solvable. Divide the stock tank in half. Not a total divide though. I, personally, would leave a gap at the bottom to connect the 2 sides. Have the filters on one side. You would be better of really filling the filter side with a lot of media. On the pump side, elevate the pump and do a milk crate filter around it with something like this... http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEN-10-ROLL...119?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4855b2040f

You would have both in and outputs on the top. Just a quick plan off of the top of my head.

Ask a Question