Wildlife pond: tap or no tap water?

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
So I've been confused on this for a while now.

Most wildlife pond books that I've read say not to use tap water to top up a wildlife pond. This has two reasons:
1. chorine/chloramine: this is not an issue for me as I have an inline chlorine/chloramine remover
2. excess nutrients: especially phosphates and nitrates

However, a lot of internet resource I find say the exact opposite. This is usually when they are discussing natural swimming ponds. They quote other reasons:
1. rain water is too acidic
2. tap water has a lot of minerals, needed for the filter plants and oxygenators to grow

My wildlife pond finally has crystal clear water (I had some algae problems before) and I don't want to mess this up. I think this is due to adding some extra plants. It rained well the last 2 months so I didn't need to top it up either.

However, now I'm leaving for 4 weeks of holidays and a lot of very hot weather is predicted.
I was thinking to top it up with some tap water before I go just so the plants don't fall dry.

Any advice? Is there a consensus on this topic?

PS: I should really get a rain ton when I get back :)

Last edited:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Use tap water for all the years I have had ponds, without issues. While for the reasons stated ie introducing nitrate/phosphate/ammonia is why I don’t do water changes, on the other hand top off in a well designed and setup pond isn’t going to be an issue, as it is minimal change on the total volume in most ponds.

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I filled her up with tap water just now... Let's see in 4 weeks ;)
Thanks for the advice!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did you add some dechlorinator

Abby

Nature & zen lover, Aquatic plant sales
Reaction score
Central Texas… home of the 10 month summer! ;)
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We use tap water and have not had any issues. We add a conditioner to be safe which treats chlorine and helps fish maintain a healthy slime coat but the test strips actually show our tap water to be damn near perfect for fish! ;) so we add water to top off as needed and don’t add conditioner every time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I use tap water and I don't use dechlorinator. I add the water very slowly with a dripline and rarely add more than about 5%.

Ask a Question