Wildlife pond beginner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've dug out a hole for a wildlife pond 3.5m by 2.5m with maximum depth 1m. It is underneath a decking bridge and won't have a pump or filter. The plank of wood in the photos is where the top of the liner will be. The end towards the lawn will be a shallow beach with pebbles. As the top of the liner will be about 20cm below the lawn, I'm wondering what to do with the liner when it meets the lawn? Just cut it down and cover with rocks? If anyone can spot any mistakes I've made please let me know as this is my first attempt at a pond.

20220524_184435_resized (1).jpg
20220524_184839.jpg
20220524_205641.jpg
20220524_205657.jpg
20220524_205711.jpg
20220524_210243.jpg

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Nice spot you have there.

Looks like you have fairly rocky soil. It would be a good idea to use an underlayment to protect your liner if you are not already. You could excavate the edge a bit, fold the liner under itself and cover with rocks for a smooth transition to your lawn.

Usually better to save as much liner on your edges as possible for future use or adjustments by folding it under as opposed to cutting it off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, yes definitely using underlay and will try to get rid of as many rocks and stones as possible before laying it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not sure if my picture shows it well, but you will want to made a berm around the perimeter of the pond — use the dirt you dug out and tamp it down. Run the liner OVER the berm and fold it (try to never cut off excess liner). Then stack rocks (or more dirt if that’s the look you want) over the exposed liner. What this does is raises the pond’s edge a little bit above ground level, and prevents water (yard runoff) from flowing back into the pond. Runoff can be a problem as it can contain harmful chemicals, which can be bad if you are wanting to attract amphibians — they are especially sensitive to contaminates in the water.

This is going to look awesome, so please keep us updated!

(@addy1 picture is better….)

4366467B-58D1-414E-9CC5-AD0F55DC8949.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That looks like a great project! I don’t know but am wondering if you can have adequate water quality without a pump and filter, as well as a way to oxygenate the water. Years ago I had a little pond without filtration or oxygenation, and it was a mess, but I didn’t know what I was doing then, still don’t really.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Perhaps at least add aerators? You can run a bog with a waterfall overflowing back to the pond with a relatively inexpensive pump.

No water flow will attract mosquitos.

You have to start somewhere! So go for it and modify as needed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is it possible not to have a filter? sure. But is that a perfect breeding ground for insects oh yea

Ask a Question