Will marginals survive frozen winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
OK so I made a rookie mistake... I am a rookie after all.. I forgot to mention that I need marginals that also don't mind being kept in the dungeon... My pond has very little sun. Like When they say sun to part shade, mine would be more part shade to full shade.. all the marginals my local nursery had were full sun to light shade.. any suggestions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll add my standard reply - try hostas! Very hardy, shade tolerant, and they love the water!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I'll add my standard reply - try hostas! Very hardy, shade tolerant, and they love the water!
LOL yes I took your advice and relocated one of my small hosta from a garden to the bog and bare rooted it in the gravel.: It's only been 3 or 4 days but it seems to be doing well so far.. but on the shelf? Does that work? My shelf is about 4" down, will the stems of the hosta be OK under water too?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd maybe try to build it up a bit with some gravel or rock, make a little planting pocket for them - but mine grow in a spot that sometimes is just damp and other times is completely flooded. They do fine both ways.

Ask a Question