BEST WAY TO OVER-WINTER MY "TEMP" BOG/MARGINALS

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Awaiting construction of my bog, which probably isn't going to happen as soon as I would like.....

There are some of my bog/marginal plants that I have temporarily STUCK amongst the rocks that are lining the pond. There are some grasses and taros and are bare-root. They are sending out roots and seem to be doing well.

But for the winter, what would be best for them? Leave them bare-root in the rocks, or pull them and plant them in some gravel [where I will have the other plants that are still awaiting the bog]?

Mainly wondering if having the roots that exposed and that close to the surface would be harmful -- our winters are rarely severe, but last year I know that my water surface did occas. get in the 30's.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was hoping someone would have posted by now. I have my window box bog with elephant ears, hibiscus, mint. lizard tail and thaila and not sure what to do with them . I'm thinking some can be sunk into the pond but not sure which ones.

Reaction score
Well I know the elephant ear will need to be brought inside to winter. After the first hard frost it will kill the leaves, thisis went you want to dig them up, let them dry out a bit, then store them in a cool dark place in dry saw dust or dry peat moss.
I'm thinking the lizards tail is hardy and can stay in the pond. MT what types of marginals do you have, as some have different ways to winter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mrsclem, I leave hibiscus out over winter, (one is a hardy, one was not supposed to survive, but has so far) Lizards tail, no issues. Elephant ears will not survive unless brought inside, I put mine outside then we had a hard freeze, gone. Mint no problem it will survive anything. Thalia, needs to be brought inside, unless it is a hardy one. I grew one, it did not survive the winter.

The only things that stay in my pond are things that survive staying outside over winter.

tm I have bog plants that survive over winter (we are zone 6b colder than you) that are growing in the rocks around the edge of the pond.
elephant ear will not survive here over winter, thalia hasn't made it for me.

Ask a Question