Winter Feeding

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I would worry about ammonia and ph .Test your water to make sure of these things

Thanks Sissy been a 25 year ponder. Not concerned about ammonia from one feeding with skimmer running all winter @50F ... Was concerned about food in their stomachs of which they're fine. They really woke up. Water temp now 55F due to ild temps ... March is coming!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If they are hungry they will eat.... just ease them into it. Don't do it heavy yet.

Oh no, I had no intention of a routine feeding in February on LI. Just wondering about thoughts with 50F water temp and if the water temp was actually too high all winter without food. They loved the small amount I gave them and ate slowly. Their coordination and aim is even off in trying to get the food in their mouths....lol ... The next day they were swimming around the top like it was summer. Food gave them a boost. Down into the 20's tonight. Here we go again :) ...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The warm weather has really woken my fish up. One of the koi wanted to eat something dangling from the net stretched over the pond and jumped clear out of the water today. Twice. The fish in general have been very, very active, and the only thing that is keeping me from giving them a snack is the algae I want them to eat first.

On this point, my pond started to get a little foamy in the late afternoon. I thought, It can't be...it's February. That stuff doesn't start until June. But since my fish count more than quadrupled in one year, I wonder. I mean, it can't be starting already, can it? The air temperature here hit in the mid-70s today and might reach 80 tomorrow. The fish were active already, so I don't know what else could explain the sudden, low-level foaming. I could be in for a very long year.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have seen the same starting yesterday .The water is up to 62 degrees

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I need to get my thermometer back in the water. It's 78 right now, and the temperature is still rising. Maybe my big fish will start eating some of the little fish. I don't know them well enough yet to regret the loss should it occur. And I know they'll get replaced soon enough in any event.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just checked mine again before it started to rain and water was up to 67 degrees but other thermometer said 73 so not sure which one is right .Both filters have been running a month and the side near to the septic tank is warmer .

Ask a Question