Winter High Desert Pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Not my pond, this one belongs to God :)

This is a spring we splash around in, in the summer time when we go out to the desert to shoot. Out there, there is not much water so this really is a treat. It is spring fed fresh water, but because it is so close to the Great Salt Lake, the water becomes brackish just after entering the pond. It is called Horseshoe Springs in Skull Valley Utah. My husband and I decided to go out today so I could sight in one of my rifles. It was 10* F, sunny and no wind. Beautiful but a very cold day.

Amazingly with 10* F outside, the water was around 60* F! We saw tons of happy warm fishies :)

DSCN3325_zpsf840c4c4.jpg

This is where the spring feeds the pond

DSCN3327_zpsbcbc96d3.jpg

DSCN3329_zps1abd64ce.jpg

DSCN3328_zpse867fc3e.jpg

DSCN3324_zps09c5b368.jpg

DSCN3326_zps70043d98.jpg

DSCN3331_zpsd36c1da9.jpg

DSCN3332_zps9111f2b5.jpg

DSCN3333_zpsfb274e1b.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
all i can say is WOW what fantastic pics mother nature left you take and she showed you her best side

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do miss the desert. It can be so beautiful, but deadly. Beautiful pictures

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
ABSOLUTELY BREATHTAKING! Thank you for sharing those pics with us! Had to plug that location in on one of my map apps, and not sure if it found the right place or not -- SW edge of the GSL?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Nice pics! thank you for sharing, I think Desert I think cactus, reptiles, sand and no water. That is simply breathtaking. I don't think of crytal clear spring water flowing out of snow covered mountains. That water looks like water in the springs in lower Florida. Being from the south and never seen any of the West side of the country it really leaves a impression to enjoy!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol fishin, depends on if you are high desert or low desert. Phoenix is low desert, only water there is from man made lakes. Brown and dry, very seldom have any snow and if we do it just dusts the mountain tops around the valley edge, melts once the sun comes up. Anything green, in the summer, is from watering it. Now spring is beautiful, if we got winter, spring rains at the right amount, spaced well. Then the desert is in bloom for a month or so. Just beautiful.

Ask a Question