winter prep early ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tfish; I used to rely on an aerator too and for the first couple of years it did fine. What I found though in year 3 was the tube got pinched/frozen and I lost the hole I was creating. And since everything was snowed over/iced in, I was out of luck trying to resurrect that unit. I had to use my ice melter unit and did so until winter was over. Btw, I had my aerator in a plastic tote with holes for the tubes, placed a home-made styrofoam box over the unit to insure it did not totally freeze.

I went to the Pond Breather and it's been nice. I think you should invest now and not worry. IF you use the aerator, keep the stone within 18" of the top. There's articles online showing how the stone near the bottom is a way to look for trouble. I figure you can use the $$ spent for any aerator on the pond breather and cut your losses.

Just my 2 cents.

Michael

Michael - excellent insight: I appreciate this well explained info through your experience. Thank you

Plan as of now is I'm going with the dual aerators (in the plastic tote and insulated with your styrofoam idea) at about 3/4 up from the bottom of the pond. In addition to the air I'm going with a 315w thermostat controlled deicer. The pond breather does read awesome (most reviews anyway) - my pond temp is reading 73 this morning: I've got some time to weigh all these strategies n gadgets out, lol

Tom

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Michael - excellent insight: I appreciate this well explained info through your experience. Thank you

Plan as of now is I'm going with the dual aerators (in the plastic tote and insulated with your styrofoam idea) at about 3/4 up from the bottom of the pond. In addition to the air I'm going with a 315w thermostat controlled deicer. The pond breather does read awesome (most reviews anyway) - my pond temp is reading 73 this morning: I've got some time to weigh all these strategies n gadgets out, lol

Tom
Last winter I used an aerator, de-icer and a Pond Breather.....wasn't taking any chances :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We get snow but most times it does not last .I am from NJ and think my body could not take that much of a weather shock .Gotta have some cold just to have a rest from the yard work .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I have the aereator pump in a tote but used a hole saw to saw a hole in the bottom of the tote instead of the flaps on the sides. I run the power cord and hoses through the hole and raise the tote up on bricks. With the hole on the bottom you don't have the chance of snow or rain getting in.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have the aereator pump in a tote but used a hole saw to saw a hole in the bottom of the tote instead of the flaps on the sides. I run the power cord and hoses through the hole and raise the tote up on bricks. With the hole on the bottom you don't have the chance of snow or rain getting in.
That's a good idea! And if any moisture does get in, it has a way to drain back out. I have my air pump covered, but the bottom is open and I have the cover raised about an inch or so. The pump is sitting on a piece of Matala mat to keep it elevated. The whole set up keeps rain out and allows for keeping the pump ventilated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use a rubbermaid tote that my hubby put holes in for the cords and airline tubing to pass through. I set it up on bricks which are placed under the four corners of the tote and then put a brick on the top so it doesn't get blown away during heavy winds. The airpump has four outlets and an adjustable dial so I can turn it up or down (I usually just run it all the way open) I also use a pond de-icer (keeps a good part of the pond open during even the coldest of winter)

I bought a pond breather last year or the year before and have yet to even take it out of the box.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

So funny was thinking about where to place the holes: on the bottom silly ! Thank you !

Ask a Question