Winterization specific to froggies

Reaction score
I like the frogs too! Even in my "kiddie pool" pond, every year I'd get a green frog come and stay for a few weeks. The pond was right outside my bedroom window and he'd sing me to sleep every night. Alas he has not been back this year. Probably too much activity with digging the new pond.:toothy12:

Reaction score
Here is "Henry" our frog. He started out as a tadpole in our pond back in June. He gets less and less shy as time goes on. Yesterday he posed for my wife. I hope he survives the winter!

henry.jpg

Todd

Reaction score
From what I have read for leopard frogs ..."The diet consists primarily of insects - beetles, ants, flies, and leafhoppers. Other invertebrate prey includes pillbugs, worms, snails and slugs. Adults often eat smaller frogs, including juveniles of their own species. Northern Leopard Frogs may occasionally consume other vertebrates; voles, birds, and even garter snakes have been found in the stomachs of large frogs. Both nocturnal (active by night) and diurnal (active by
and green frogs...The Green Frog is an opportunistic feeder, its diet comprised primarily of arthropods, snails, and worms (Martof and others 1980).
Although some sites say that either will "eat anything that moves".
Bull frogs......American Bullfrogs are veracious predators, eating things like insects, smaller frogs, fish, small birds, and even small snakes.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
This is the first yera for me to have frogs in my pond. Knowing that frog will burrow in somewhere for the winter, I'm not concerned if they will be back next year. Having the only pond in the neighbor hood, I'm confident that they will stay close by like they are doing now.

Last winter I used 150 watt submersable aquarium heater in my filter reservor, and it always kept the water in my pond above freezing. Adding a heater to your pond might help solve the problem for your frogs that might winter under water. My pond is 365 gallons with a new 27 gallon above ground home made boi filter. So I will be adding a 300 watt submersable aquarium heater in the water return from the boi filter.

I hope all of the suggestions here at the forum have been helpful.

Ask a Question