Winterization question

Reaction score
I have a 1200 gallon pond that is filtered by three vortex settling tanks and then finally pushed through a aquabead filter.......

1 pump..... all of this external to the pond....this system feeds a waterfall and the equivalent of a rock lined creek down into the pond.....

should I turn off the pump for winter....?

Should I put a de-icer in the pond proper?

or down in the last vortex tank so that it (being smaller volumne) doesn't freeze on the top and stop allowing water through into the pump?

Any help?

Thank you

Justkoi1

Reaction score
What zone if you are in? If you get really frigid winters, keeping the falls on may allow ice to build up and cause the water to be diverted away from the pond. If your winters are mild, you can keep it running and just have a deicer handy for those rare frigid days/nights.

Reaction score
I am in Richmond Virginia.....We do get freezing nights in Jan/ Feb that can go for weeks....you're point is a good one. I could just shut off the waterfall (two valves) and let the creek run. It's lined, has sides, rocked, and runs downhill. It probably wouldn't divert.
In years past , I've just shut them off when It got very cold....(I figured the fish hibernate and don't use much oxygen)

1.) can I just shut things down like I have?

2.) If I put a de-icer in , where should I put it? in the pond, or in the vortex tank?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Just beware that if your pond is running, that in some water features, ice could divert all the water away and your ice covered pond could become an ice cave with no water in it.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
its best to put your pump in higher water for the winter...if something did go wrong...it wont pump all the water out...

Ask a Question