Winterizing Tropical Lilies

Reaction score
Country
United States
There seems to be 2 main recommended methods to over winter tropical lilies in regions were ponds freeze: remove tubers and store them in a cool place or maintain the pot of lilies inside in water at above 60 F with grow-lights. My attached garage never goes below about 45, even when outside is the coldest it gets here in southern CT (about 0F), so would the lilies be OK if left to over-winter in a tub of water in the garage - essentially going dormant in their container without the water freezing? I could oxygenate the water to keep it from getting cloudy and smelly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The tubers won't mind cloudy or smelly so I wouldn't concern yourself with that. And honestly at that temp, water will stay clear. We overwinter lotuses in our garage. I have no idea how cold the garage gets, but I know the water in the pot freezes over but never freezes solid. We make sure the pot is full of water and keep them close to the interior wall of the garage where it's the warmest. We have in past years wrapped the pots in blankets or bubble wrap, but we never got around to it last year and they survived just fine. So I would guess you could try it and see what happens. Much easier than grown lights indoors, no?

Ask a Question