Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I have to revisit this to admit that I at one time thought the barley straw was a fix but I spent $2,300 upgrading my ponds and all my indoor tanks with UV-Filtration and I have cut my water maintenance by 80% and can see clear to the bottom of my 5 foot deep pond to read the temp gauge and barometer. If straw works for your climate and chemistry then by all means go for it but if it don't then try UV and you will be surprised at the speed and quality of results

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I just buy liquid barley with peat in it .I have barley straw but the liquid is much better and works faster .koi clay is the best and clouds up your water when you first put it in but clarifies it and is healthy for the fish
Koi clay is awesome but my turtles go helter skelter on the stuff

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
With our recent snowfall, when I went out to my pond the next day, the water was crystal clear. I could see right down to the 5 foot bottom.
The most I've been able to see all summer is maybe 2 feet of water depth.
Does that mean that snow cleared the pond water? - No.

I think the same thing is happening with barley straw
The straw has something to do with it, but the addition of straw is not the whole story.

Snow... I miss seeing that. Not much snow here in GA where I live now but in NY and NC we got plenty

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Actually you got that backwards. Your bio-filter doesn't introduce bacteria to your pond, the bacteria, that is omnipresent pretty much everywhere on our planet, colonizes in your bio-filter, and on every other surface in your pond.
Bottled "bacteria?" is product sold to the naive which is a bottle that is suppose to contain viable nitrifying bacteria to help colonize your bio-filter. Problem is it is sold in an air tight container, and generally sits on a self in a store somewhere until somebody buys it, and as most people are aware nitrifying bacteria needs a constant supply of oxygen to survive. On a warm day you could wipe out the bacteria colony in your bio-filter just by turning off the water circulation for a 24 hour period, how much less likely would it be for the bacteria to survive in a seal container sitting on a shelf for months at room temperature. Sure some bacteria could survive in a dormant state in that bottle, but we are literally living in a bacteria soup that is teaming with bacteria, living and dormant. Adding a bottle containing deeply dormant bacteria to your pond water would be like shaking a salt shaker on the beach in hopes of making the ocean saltier.
Of course the ponding hobby is not the only place this scam has gone on. They also sell supposed bacteria for your septic system, and compost, both of which are also useless products that are totally unnecessary, and yet there are companies out there that make millions on these products, and those that will argue to their graves that these products actually work.
Is that kinda like the stuff they sell for fish tanks that is supposed to "pour in good bacteria" so your bio-filter "has it easy" LOL I have seen that but the pond supply I use does not bother with selling bottled bacteria for a pond... I'm not sure if it is even possible to bottle bacteria for more than a day or maybe two

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Barley straw worked great to kill my string allergy problem. It is inexpensive and has no effect on Fish or plants. ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Ok, I know this is an old thread. I use barley bales. This year is the first for an external filter, before I placed the bales under the filter in the waterfall. Is it more effective for the bales to stay submerged, or does it matter? I have them in the skimmer basket in front of the waterfall pump.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
One problem with the bales is that they will start to decompose on the inside and then give you nutrient problems down the road.
If you're going to use them, make sure there is some water circulation passing through.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
One problem with the bales is that they will start to decompose on the inside and then give you nutrient problems down the road.
If you're going to use them, make sure there is some water circulation passing through.
I have wondered about that. what I read was when they decompose it creates h2o2. Then they say to replace often. how long before the decomposing goes from good h2o2 to bad nutrients?
I put one in my pond in the summer and it may have made a difference but is it just rotting now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
My reading on this is humeric acid, and that breaks down to h2O2, hydrogen peroxide. I know after now 4 years of this pond barley bales work. I have let these bales reside in the waterfall filter system. My initial question was, since I have an external filter, do these bales need to be submerged?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I have wondered about that. what I read was when they decompose it creates h2o2. Then they say to replace often. how long before the decomposing goes from good h2o2 to bad nutrients?
I put one in my pond in the summer and it may have made a difference but is it just rotting now?

Basically, you just don't want the bales clogging up and filling with detritus. Depending on the water temperature and water flow will determine how long it takes for the bale to fully decompose.

My reading on this is humeric acid, and that breaks down to h2O2, hydrogen peroxide. I know after now 4 years of this pond barley bales work. I have let these bales reside in the waterfall filter system. My initial question was, since I have an external filter, do these bales need to be submerged?

Submerged or not submerged, it doesn't matter. Just don't let them clog up.
If you're interested in learning more about humic substances, including a lot of studies on them, here's a good read for you:
https://tanninaquatics.com/blogs/the-tint-1/humic-substances-in-freshwater-aquariums#comments

Ask a Question