j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So the tinier the holes in the rubber the better? I suppose they would have to be large enough holes tho to let the air out just right or the thing might blow up like a balloon and pop!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh the pin was to small but the size of the paneling nail is about the size of a tack .I put them all around the edges and worked my way in .I did not put a lot of holes either ,about 1 every inch apart and then less the next row in .I did not put a lot of holes either .It took me about 10 minutes to do .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Even with the holes I put in it blew up a little .I guess the rock I put in there took up a lot of space because it just fit inside .The clamp has to be tight as it may come off if not tight enough

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The rubber membrane on diffusers is specially manufactured to contain thousands of tiny holes. This allows the air to escape in the form of tiny bubbles without creating a balloon effect. Also the psi of the air supply must be correct.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a 12 outlet diffuser and it did not get hindered at all with all those outlets going .I figure I would start out with those holes and then see what it is like when i can lower it to the bottom .Hoses from aerator are tight on the inlet to this but very stiff from being in the water so could not push it all the way on .When i try it again I will use a piece of newer hose that is not as stiff and leave it warm up in the sun .Mine is going down 4 ft .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Forgot to mention also you need to pull it real tight so there are no wrinkles under the the clamp because that will allow air to escape .I brought up my new airline and put the end in hot water and it went over the inlet easy and once cooled I picked it up by the airline and sorta bounced it up and down and it did not come off .So that is good .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The part about it needing thousands of holes in it bothers me. It is true the ones you buy have lots of tiny holes in them. The ones I have now are balls and they put out teensy bubbles.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I tried to count mine as I was putting them in and so far I have25 tiny holes and I am going to wait until it goes to the bottom just to see how many holes I will really need .I think the holes I put in the middle will be made with a pin to get finer bubbles also .This way I have a combination of sizes

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It will be interesting to see how you like the way it performs sissy. Would be neat to be able to see it under water from a fish eye view.

Ask a Question