Bio Balls

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I just came from the "pond store." I explained that I had filter material and bio balls in my falls. He immediately said that I should change out the bio balls and plant the waterfall.

Ok, now the newbie question. Why would he say that? Won't the bacteria on the bio balls improve water quality? I guess I thought that they would help reduce the green water when the pond cycles. I am sure this has something to do with nitrates and nitrites and I don't understand. Can someone send me to a web site that might offer a clearer picture of how this all goes together.

I am a real newbie,

Thanks
Rich

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Biological filters in general only convert ammonia>nitrite>nitrate. The nitrate is still there to feed algae. The guy wants you to put in plants which will use the nitrate. We need bio filtration too so without knowing anything about your pond I will not make any suggestions.

How old is it and some pics and specs would be nice.

Are you fighting green water or some other form of algae ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Howard,

This is a small pond. Only abour 250 gallons. It get LOTS of sun each day. Did I mention that this is a BRAND NEW pond. Water has been in it for a week. I am not fighting green water. However I suspect that as the pond cycles, I will. I just don't want it to last forever. I am using a skimmer box and bio falls. I am trying to position myself so that the green water does not go on forever. The water got cloudy after the monsoon rains today. I have added some floating plants today and will add a few more plants tomorrow. I will plant those in the rocks. I have rocks on an 8 inch ledge around the pond but that is it. 24 inchs deep.

Ask a Question