Filter for pump

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ahhh thank you for the clarity dieselplower, that makes sense to me. I would like to have to pull the filter and box less rather than more. I will give it a shot. Thank you!
For the record, I'm going to be hysterical if I pull the pump and find the hose has slipped off or some other reason for reduced water flow and nothing to do with my milk crate filter.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use one of the pop-up laundry hampers from the dollar store. I have my pumps hanging up off the bottom and the hampers keep the pumps from clogging fairly well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
C849.jpg

http://www.cascade-pond-supply.com/Matala-Pump-Defender-Pumps-Submersible-sc-848.html

Reaction score
Well I didn't read everything but I saw a video where the pump was put in a 5 gallon bucket with lava rocks and green scrubbers layered on top of the pump. Don't know if it will help, just thought I'd mention it.

Now just give you and idea of what kind of filter I have for my pump that sits in the back, on the bottom of my skimmer box is 1st a net to catch large stuff. then 2 layers of thick white filter pads, then I added a thin washable furnace filter pad. These pads are on top of my pump and fits snuggles in my rectangular skimmer box. So you see there is a lot of filtering going on so my pump gets pretty clean water. Oh the pump sits upright and pulls the water in from it bottom.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One reason I like external pumps, just need to protect the intake of the water. I wrapped my intake with a few layers of gutter guard. My draw is around 6500 gph, it keeps the plants, fish, snails, etc from being sucked into the pump. I have a large leaf basket, but very little makes it to the basket. To clean, if the flow slows down, all I need to do is brush the screen with my pool brush, ie. push off the horn wort, etc that has sucked into the screen. I brush it a few times a summer, not often.

e23717c2-a878-4361-9d93-aa3cdf93030b_400.jpg

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I was completely wrong about my filter box. It was not clogged with algae, it was clogged with dead kermit bones. :wideyed: And my water pressure issue had to do with a kink in the hose where it comes out of the pond and into the bog. I had a rock smushing it. So I was happy and sad at the same time. The filter was minimally covered with algae and was an easy rinse. I am going to pull it again this weekend, cut some pool noodles to put on the edges so that it will be a tighter seal on the bottom so the froggies can't get into it again. Please pipe in but I am assuming that is why my water turned so green so quickly was due to dead decomposing froggy. There were only bones left. :wtf::cry:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep get lots more plants as your pond is good size. Hornwort is good for your water too! Sorry about your poor frog T.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks j.w, I was pretty upset yesterday. It was just so shocking that he could get caught up in there and then have there be nothing left but bones. That filter hasn't been in there that long. I have been trying to find more underwater plants locally but they are so expensive I think I'm going to wait until spring and bribe Addy1 to send me a box.
My pond is a monster. :vamp:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Some good winter plants are watercress (waterfall area), water hawthorne (lilly), striped thrush (bog), sagitarria, hornwort. I bought my watercress at a pond store, but should have got it at the grocery store! Sorry about your froggy. Maybe he croaked before getting sucked in. I only wish I had frogs. Desert climate...

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks timvz... Crroaked... hehe. I think the rest went on strike, I didn't hear any plops this morning of frogs hitting the water. They may be plotting my death.
I can find the watercress but I don't have a pond store for the hornwort. I was going to try and plant some more rush in the pond, or grasses, and see if that helps over the winter.

Reaction score
@addy1 has a lead for hornwort that I will try next year. I found it in the classified forum in one of her posts. A HUGE bunch of it for $25. She has pic up somewhere of what she received. The pics may be on his web site. You'll find it if ya look. Maybe be on the hunt for another ponder in your town who is over run with plants!!!

Ask a Question