First Goldfish Death After 1 Year D:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Howdy!

I built a patio pond about 1 year ago. It's 40 gal with a 7 gal bog filter and waterfall. I put two goldfish in it at around June. The pond seemed to be sustaining itself nicely, I never fed the fish, plenty of plant life, bog filter runs smoothly on a low flowrate.

Last week I found the largest goldfish had died. Now this is where it gets tricky... I found the goldfish stuck to the pump intake. Now this pump is pretty clogged so it's suction can't be that strong. Also, the fish (2 originally) have been in this pond since June so I can't imagine that after all this time it didn't happen sooner. Regardless, either the big guy got stuck to the pump, or he died, then drifted towards the pump, and there's something wrong with my pond conditions.

So of course I immediately bought a 5 in 1 test kit (API Strips). Nothing jumped out to me in particular (though this is the first time I've tested the water). Below are the measured conditions and changes so far:

pond size: 40gal
bog filter size: 7gal
Approx water temp at time of death: 70degF
Approx water temp at time of pH test strips: 60degF
I believe the plants inside are coon-tail, some sort of hornwart, dwarf lily, another plant at the bottom-center in front of the filter (can't remember the name).

(eyeballed from test strips, picture posted below)
NO3: 0
NO2: 0
pH: 7.5
KH: 75-80
GH: 160-180

Up until November 2022, I used a chlorine/chloramine in-line hose filter to refill the pond when the level was low. The filter is from a website that sells wormcastings and wormtea brewing supplies (I trust this filter as wormtea is based on growing/fermenting in water that will allow bacteria to grow). After each fill I'd pump one dose of "Aquascapes Maintain". After November, I put away most of the garden irrigation equipment in preparation for the odd freeze we'd get in Houston, Tx. After that point I began just using the Houston tap water. The Aquascapes Maintain is supposed to treat the water for chloramine/chlorine along with miscellaneous metals, adds bacteria, etc.

The pump has been fairly clogged since October/November, but it still creates some bubbles (see picture).

The larger goldfish died (approx. 4in). The smaller one is about 2.5in. I'm wondering if when it heated up a bit, the small amount trickling out of the waterfall did not provide enough oxygen. I read that the larger fish tend to die first as they're bigger requiring more oxygen. Unfortunately, I didn't know that I should check the state of the dead fish for signs of sickness/lack of something, but the little bit I did see it looked the same as it always did, healthy bright orange, the eyes weren't in any particular state (that I saw...).

The smaller fish has always been much more skittish hiding when I approach, but he's definitely hiding all the time now (down at the bottom). I need to take a closer look at it when I get home.

Otherwise I'm stumped... Let me know if any of y'all have any ideas or if I need to provide anymore information. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7724.JPG
    IMG_7724.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2226.JPEG
    IMG_2226.JPEG
    286.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2224.JPEG
    IMG_2224.JPEG
    281 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2223.JPEG
    IMG_2223.JPEG
    287.6 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Although it's contrary to general belief, smaller ponds (and yours is in the TINY category) are much harder to keep balanced & maintained than larger ones. Test strips tend to be very unreliable. Your best bet is to pick up a liquid/drop test kit (API makes a good one) and then buy a separate kit for kh (it doesn't come in the regular kit) Your kh is low, which could mean ph fluctuations which can lead to stress on the fish.

I have tried to maintain goldfish in a 100 gallon indoor 'pond' (stock tank) and it was so difficult to maintain balance & avoid fish stress/loss, I simply gave up the entire idea. Yours is half the size I was working with, so I will assume your problems are going to be all the more increased.

I don't mean to be a 'Debbie Downer'. Sorry if I come off that way. I'm just trying to be realistic here....

Reaction score
Country
United States
Although it's contrary to general belief, smaller ponds (and yours is in the TINY category) are much harder to keep balanced & maintained than larger ones. Test strips tend to be very unreliable. Your best bet is to pick up a liquid/drop test kit (API makes a good one) and then buy a separate kit for kh (it doesn't come in the regular kit) Your kh is low, which could mean ph fluctuations which can lead to stress on the fish.

I have tried to maintain goldfish in a 100 gallon indoor 'pond' (stock tank) and it was so difficult to maintain balance & avoid fish stress/loss, I simply gave up the entire idea. Yours is half the size I was working with, so I will assume your problems are going to be all the more increased.

I don't mean to be a 'Debbie Downer'. Sorry if I come off that way. I'm just trying to be realistic here....

No worries! Yea I’m definitely trying to be realistic. I just don’t understand how it could last all this time through 100+ degF summer and 40degF winter (plus a freeze though I used an aquarium heater for the couple freezes we had), then round the way back into the beginning of spring, THEN it goes off balance! Is there something I’m missing or can things still change after a year? (I know that’s kind of a dumb question, but just spitballing here haha)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
look into adding baking soda to the pond GRADUALY your kh is way low if that all in one test strip can be trusted. strips generally are not so, much better off with liquid tests. kh is a critical test and baking soda can boost it. Rain water is what will cause your ph fluctuations.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Is the pond SIZE 40 gallons or is the water VOLUME 40 gallons - you have a lot of rocks, gravel, pots, etc taking up space which will reduce your water volume, which makes your water chemistry even more volatile. You may be trying to keep two goldfish in more like 20 gallons of water.

People always wonder how fish can be fine for months or even years and then suddenly die. I guess one obvious answer is sometimes they just die - nothing you did or could have changed. However, as time goes on and fish continue to grow, the impact their biomass has on the environment continues to change, which might be the case here.

I would agree with your second supposition by the way - the fish died and then was drawn to the pump. A healthy fish that can swim can avoid the small amount of draw from the pump. We have a negative edge pond and the few fish that have gone over the edge have either been chased over or they end up being too weak to avoid the current and eventually die.

Reaction score
Country
United States
look into adding baking soda to the pond GRADUALY your kh is way low if that all in one test strip can be trusted. strips generally are not so, much better off with liquid tests. kh is a critical test and baking soda can boost it. Rain water is what will cause your ph fluctuations.
I actually just read about this! I was suspicious of it when there are all these expensive products to boost KH, but it seems legitimate. I’ll be sure to take it verry slow. I read that 1 teaspoon for every 8gal each day is recommended, but for the small pond I’ll probably cut it to 0.5 or even 0.25 and just keep checking. The test strips have a pretty good reputation from the many reviews I’ve read, but I’ll be sure to take it with a grain of salt… I’ll shop around for a liquid kit and see if there’s a cheapish option.

@Lisak1 Thanks for the observation! Yea I’m sure it’s less than 40gal now that you point that out. I’ll be more careful with my maintain doses because apparently it is possible to add too much. I’ll probably start measuring out with teaspoons instead of one “pump”.

Do y’all think that waterfall is producing enough oxygen with that trickle from what can be seen in the pictures? Yet another variable that could’ve affected the bigger fish before the smaller one…

It’s like trying to solve a murder mystery

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There's no daily recommendation for baking soda . You want to be between 100 and 200 preferably the higher. Baking soda will bring your pH up to 8.5 I believe it is as a max after that point all the baking soda in the world " won't raise it any higher from what I have read"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I’ll be more careful with my maintain doses

That's one reason to know your volume... the other is to choose your fish wisely. One goldfish is likely enough for this tiny volume of water. You'd do even better with something smaller like minnows or guppies. Then you could have a whole school!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The amount of baking soda needed depends on the volume of water. You don't want to raise the pH quickly, so go slowly.

I keep the KH in my pond around 200ppm. 100 would be a minimum. I use about 8 cups of baking soda at a time to keep that level, but my pond is much larger than 40 or so gallons.

The pH stays at 8.2 or 8.3 and goes no higher. Only if you have some pretty unusual water would the pH go above that, no matter how much baking soda you use. It does happen, but very rarely, and that can be addressed.

You need to check the KH every now and then. this is not a one time and done thing. The buffer you create by doing this will get used up over time so it will need to be dosed again every now and then. I do mine only a few times a year.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to check mine again soon.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's one reason to know your volume... the other is to choose your fish wisely. One goldfish is likely enough for this tiny volume of water. You'd do even better with something smaller like minnows or guppies. Then you could have a whole school!
So I got two goldfish because they were bright orange and pretty! But I’m considering guppies/minnows now that you mention it… my only concern is them breeding and having to get rid of them someway >.<
Also, my goal was to have a verrrrry low maintenance pond (I.e. I dont need to feed the goldfish as long as there’s plenty of plant life etc.) Will guppies or minnows sustain themselves as well? Can they handle the hardcore temperature swings we get in the gulf coast area

Reaction score
Country
United States
The amount of baking soda needed depends on the volume of water. You don't want to raise the pH quickly, so go slowly.

I keep the KH in my pond around 200ppm. 100 would be a minimum. I use about 8 cups of baking soda at a time to keep that level, but my pond is much larger than 40 or so gallons.

The pH stays at 8.2 or 8.3 and goes no higher. Only if you have some pretty unusual water would the pH go above that, no matter how much baking soda you use. It does happen, but very rarely, and that can be addressed.

You need to check the KH every now and then. this is not a one time and done thing. The buffer you create by doing this will get used up over time so it will need to be dosed again every now and then. I do mine only a few times a year.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to check mine again soon.
I see… ok so I added 0.5 teaspoon of baking soda this morning. I’ll check the levels this evening when I get home and see how much the pH/KH moved.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Agree with a lot of above. You will be best with minnows.
Pretty set up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Can they handle the hardcore temperature swings we get in the gulf coast area

Define hardcore. You are working with a very small volume of water, which will heat and cool very quickly. I know guppies don't survive under 50 degrees; not sure about minnows.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Define hardcore. You are working with a very small volume of water, which will heat and cool very quickly. I know guppies don't survive under 50 degrees; not sure about minnows.
Sorry for the vague slang lol. Last summer the air temp went above 105 for a couple weeks, and for most of the summer (approx 2 months) it hovers around 95-100… now I never actually measured the temp of the water, but the waterfall was flowing much more vigorously, and I have a tree to shade as well as that fabric cover over out iron fence. The goldfish survived just fine. I will get a thermometer and be sure to get some actual water temps (probably should see before I buy a potentially doomed school of minnows).

I read a very cool idea of someone running an aquarium air pump from inside the cooled house out to their pond which apparently cooled their water significantly (at least 10 degrees if I remember). I have a large air pump and some percolators I used to oxygenate the water during summertime, but the pump stayed outside in a shaded corner. I just haven’t come up with a way to feed the tubes through a cracked window. Maybe I’ll get some door gasket material and stuff it into the cracked window leaving a little hole. Still a work in progress.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I’m not sure if this is related, but I’ve been adding small amounts of baking soda and got the pH to around 8-8.5 and the kH above 180 and my dwarf lily pads turned bright green and healthy! Also the algae covering the waterfall has cleared up.

Last night it poured rain, and the pH is way back down below 7.5, so I added in more baking soda to bring it back up, but I’m curious if the green pads and lack of algae are related to the alkalinity boost? Pics below!

56F77B47-FD69-46A6-BF57-694522829CFF.jpeg
83B9C7C0-62D9-45B9-917D-45C21FD8442F.jpeg

Ask a Question