Fish not eating. Ideas?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi everyone!

Usually our fish are big eaters but the last 2 days they have eaten very sparingly if at all. I noticed the water was covered in flowers from our dogwood despite my best efforts so I got them out of the water and did a half water exchange but today they weren't much better. None of them are slow and they are moving around the bottom with good speed so I did water test with some test strips and ph was 7.0 and the acid numbers were very low, all the numbers seem to be in the norm but the little lady is worried. Any tips on what can be going on? The pond is a 2 pond system with the upper pond taking on a bog role while the lower pond is where the fish are. Each of the ponds is roughly 5x5x3 if it matters. Temps have been in the 80s and the fish have been completely covered so I don't think its fear from a predator.

Any ideas or advice would be apprecaited!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think your thought about a predator is most likely since they are not acting sick other than not coming to the surface. Or maybe getting the flowers out and the water exchange scared them like a predator would.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The flowers wouldn't have hurt them, but it may have been something odd that made them cautious. And then like @Laaf said removing them may have spooked them further. YOU may be the predator.

Fish can go months without food so I wouldn't worry about that. How many fish are in your ponds? Are they koi?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
The flowers wouldn't have hurt them, but it may have been something odd that made them cautious. And then like @Laaf said removing them may have spooked them further. YOU may be the predator.

Fish can go months without food so I wouldn't worry about that. How many fish are in your ponds? Are they koi?
They are all Koi about 8. 3 are very large

Ask a Question