Fish seem to all be gone

Reaction score
Country
United States
My fish are very good at hiding this time of year, always think I am missing a bunch. But then they show up. My pond is 5.5 feet at the deepest so they have places to hide.
Haha. So is my little dry creek pond a great hiding place for my 99c goldfish and for the 15 wood frog egg masses there now. It is only about 30” at its deepest, and our camera’s show screech owls taking mating frogs (frog eyes glowing between rocks), raccoons, cats, coopers hawks and more. Bear as well. Great habitat that seems to be an amazing place for the fish to overwinter in a a big nest under some of the leaves that I allow to stay.
I have found that if you build a tall rock edge, over 4”, the raccoons won’t enter the pond if they can’t figure out how deep it is.
A few years ago we had hours worth of footage of two raccoons doing water ballet. Now they rarely attempt it

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome41.gif
@Fritzheimer
Hey would be better if you start a new thread on what you want to say.

Ask a Question