addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cas my pond , being on a slope has a high side a low side, irregular shape, plants everywhere that are tall short etc. The only easy way to protect it was with my high hanging net.
JW put hers up after I told her about mine, she had fishing line around the pond and the heron managed to get though it. I had fishing line and the heron, wiggled through one time, jumped over it the second time, there was no third time. The net was bought and put up.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My brother-in-law lost fish a couple of times trying to use just the fishing line. He now is using the 3/8" mesh net staked to the ground and has had no more problems. He has seen the heron sitting on the swing set looking at the pond, but no more free meals.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They like to sit on our roof, look down the hill at the fish and dream! Not recently though

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen the results of what damage a heron can do to a koi when Val and I went down to Lostwithial in Cornwall to by a Sanke some years ago now,
The owner sent us up to view the koi one last time before we bought it after he had been growing the koi on for us in a mud pond.
We got to the vat in question only to find the sanke and a number of other koi we various states of damage to them.
Our sanke with a hole trough its hind end just prior to the tail where the heron had speared it through and through.
We went to fetch him and when he looked not only had the heron damaged a number of koi but there were also three missing , it cost him the sale of a sanke the cost of the other koi and the three missing koi .
They had only been put in the vat that morning , he was busy in the shop and the guy that normally helped had phoned in sick that day so the heron saw his chance and took it .

Dave

The PondFather

The PondFather with my Grandson enjoying my pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I have my pond netted with 3/8" mesh and the parameter of the pond lined with fishing line.
The fishing line is about a foot from the edge of the pond to keep the heron back. I have seen heron standing on the patio and on the grass, but they don't get any closer to the pond. However, this year I lost my first fish in 11 years because I didn't put the fishing line over the falls because I thought it was to tight for the bird to get in. Wrong. Fishing line is back up and the net dropped a little closer to the water. The heron has been back but has left without any more of my fish.
Below is a diagram of the netting and fishing line and also a picture without my scribbles to show you that the net and fishing line do not obstruct the view too much.
View attachment 83159

View attachment 83160
Hey, just wanted to thank you for a great post and great pictures. Your pond is one of the best one's I've seen in a while. Well planted and landscaped, protected and filtered. Great advice on netting!

Ask a Question