I did it! I anesthetized a goldfish with oil of clove!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I appreciate the comments & concerns! And no offense taken, honestly, but maybe this will help everyone understand why it's important to learn to do the things that MUST be done, and to learn them well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In everything we do, it takes experience and "practice" to become proficient and comfortable. I am a retired RN, so you can imagine all the many "nursey" things I've had to do to people and their bodies over the past 30 or so years.....

Naturally, every medical task has to be learned from the standpoint of not only HOW to do it, but you also have to consider the anatomy & physiology involved and what would/could happen if you didn't perform it correctly.

Repetition is the best teacher -- the more you do something, the better you get at it. But MOST important is that you want the task to become so routine that you don't have to think about it. You can practice on a dummy patient forever, but until you actually stick that needle [or that urinary catheter...] in a real person, there's no way you can know what it's like!!

So, for all of you out there in the POND COMMUNITY -- koi or goldfish -- once you reach the point where you're ready to take it to the next level of fish husbandry......educate yourself, go over the procedure (and the risks) mentally, but don't be afraid to jump in and DO IT! When it counts, you want to be at your best!!

Ask a Question