j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just a nice enough amt to make everything look all nice and wintery crisp Tmann. I'd love to have some snow here :razz:

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I shut down my pond on sunday, had some ice damning starting in my one creek so I thought it best to go ahead and do it. Took me about 30 minutes to pull the pump and drain all the lines.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am guessing your hands were cold after that .I try to not take any chances after the 2010 winter and watch weather reports closely .Never know when it can change suddenly ,so far so good this year . :razz:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Better safe than sorry I always say.............I don't always abide by it but it's still what I say :rolleyes:

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Today I installed my pump, cleaned out all the filters, cleaned out the creeks and bog of leaves and debris. During the cleaning out of one of the creeks, I noticed that a root from my dawn redwood had grown into the creek it's been there for a few years as it was about an 1/2" in diameter and about 6' long. I am going to have to keep an eye out for more of those roots going forward. I also pulled out most of my cat tails as they were getting big and out of control, glad to see them gone. The bog was an easy clean out an once the water started flowing there was nothing but clear water. So far no leaks or problems. I need to get a few new gaskets for the pipe that leads to my filter as they are dry rotted and I am concerned they won't last another year, I put vaseline on them every year to try and keep them from dry rotting but after 8 years I guess they have out lived their lifespan. I also need to get two new ones for my pump, will have to look on the net and find these as they are not standard ones.

The pond was clear all winter long up until abut 2 or 3 weeks ago, it became so cloudy that you could not see any of the fish or the bottom. I am perplexed how it can stay clear all winter up until the last few weeks. The weather hasn't been that warm either. The pump was only off for 9 -10 weeks this year as I was able to leave going longer into December than I normally do.

Glad to see the water flowing again.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond stayed clear all winter then boom green, cloudy mucky. We warmed a little then cold then warm... but as soon as I turned on the bog the pond went crystal clear in about 12 hours.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Tmann you are really ambitious w/ all that early pond maintenance. You must be having some fairly good at least dry weather there. That's a pretty good sized root from that Redwood tree. Do you just cut the roots off clean and it won't hurt them? I've done a bit of clipping of dead vegetation on plants around the pond but not much is growing yet around here. You guys and your bogs seem to really have good results keeping the water clear. Maybe the water became cloudy from the fish getting more active hoping for Spring and stirring up things on the bottom of the pond?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The weather was in the 60's yesterday and it was a good day to get a jump on the pond maintenance. I took out some cattails which were well rooted, dropped a large rock into the pond which I will have to get out when the water warms up. I trimmed up some bushes and began to scope out which perennials I might split this weekend. Lots to do and have to pick the good weather days when we have them.

JW I just cut that root, didn't want it growing in the creek. It won't hurt that tree as it has many many many other roots, lots of roots. I am going to check other areas of the creek to make sure there aren't any other roots growing.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't know what I am going to do as I have Iris planted in-between lots of my rocks and the roots or just the growth from those suckers are pushing more of my rocks into the pond. Might have to take the Iris and put them outside the pond around in the dirt. Maybe just thin them out and start out w/ smaller pieces of them again. I liked the way the hairy roots from the big plants spread out into the pond tho and think the fish enjoy nibbling and hiding in them. I have to fish out those big rocks from the bottom of my pond too and that will involve going in for a dip so if the weather ever warms up here say in July I will have to do it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I see quite a few smaller rocks on the bottom of my ponds, too. I'm sure it's from the dogs walking on the edge, rocks sliding in. Most I can fish out with a next, as they are not that big or heavy. Just reach in before the net gets above the water, so it's not as heavy for the next. But, others will have to wait until I can get in and swim with the fish. What fun that is, too! I usually go in with my mask and snorkel, and really enjoy the fish, but it's going to be a while.
Did it get really cold by you today, too, Todd? Yesterday it was in the low 60's cloudy, rainy in the afternoon, but today barely got up to 40! What a change. Hopefully temps will go back up now.

Ask a Question