j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep it has a net, the fiberglass screen door stuff at Lowes or H-Depot. It comes in different sizes. You can but a whole roll or less. I used heavy duty fishing line to sew the bottom onto the ring. Tiny baby fish when first hatched will fit through the tiny holes and then grow and can't get out so once in awhile I have to take out the plants and dump them in w/ the bigger fish or population will skyrocket. You could buy bigger holed net like koiguy makes them out of too and use zip ties to hold the net on.
http://www.gardenpon...-planter-rings/
Mine below clogs up w/ debris and his prolly don't as much.

IMG_1257.JPG

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I grow all my duckweed in these 10g pots that I have my lotus plants in. then scoop it out on a regular basis to feed to the fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I started out w/ duckweed and azolla in the one tub together and the azolla took over and smothered the duckweed. There were no fish in that tub so I know nothing ate it. Now I need more duckweed and this time I will keep them separate.

Reaction score
I have had zero luck with duck weed... if the fish have access, it is gone fast!

The last batch a friend sent, we got smart and threw a little into the tarrium, which is actually growing well ... not multiplying like it should, but if I was a plant, not sure how long I would live in there either LOL. Definately not healthy water by pond standards anyways... The good news is it has been a few years, and the little fire belly newts havent died yet, so maybe it isnt sooooo bad in there...

I should find a little container to stick some into the plant pond, to see if we can at least grow enough for some treats.... hmmm... maybe a Dollar Tree collander? (they work great for keeping baby fish out of intakes),,,

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had duckweed in my floating ring all by itself once in the pond and it did great. Then put in some azolla w/ it and no more duckweed. If I put it loose in my pond w/ the goldfish,no more duckweed. I have the azolla loose in the pond now and it's not disappearing so think they either don't like it or they can't keep up w/ it's growth
xmassmiley19.gif

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Looks like the pump will stay on another week or so, going to be 60 tomorrow. The fish have even started to become a little more active than they have been. Water temps were 40 the other day. Can't wait for spring!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
60 is nice and is your pump an external one? Maybe you won't get a winter this year. Maybe we will be cold here and you won't. I will say I can't wait for Summer tho cuz our Springs are pretty pitiful
xmassmiley14.gif

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Spring is coming.... the hard depressing part is almost over..... December 21st the sun will start to grow stronger ever day after that. The holidays always fly by so quick, before you know it I will be planting peppers and tomatoes in the greenhouse come end of January and by February I should start seeing shoots of fresh pond plants under the snow and ice! End of March I will be planting my panzies for sure! Spring is just a hop skip and and jump over the cold snow now! :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep it is coming with a hot humid summer, I want winter to last a while longer. A nice break from the yard work

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well for you a nice cold break would be good to keep down the bugs, but for me I long for some hot humid days cause summer is short here. I just can't wait, spring is so darn exciting, everything so fresh and new, not the overgrown bug infested late summer days, but nice warm sunny spring days and cool nights, fresh green leaves everywhere, with very few bugs in the spring to bite me. :)

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Right after Xmas is the time of year where I begin to think about the spring project I want to do. But since it has been a mild winter so far, I have begun a bit earlier. I am thinking of doing two different projects, one in the front yard right in front of the porch and redoing my long creek. The porch one will only be about 3x5 and maybe 24" deep. The redoing the creek will be where I either put back a small pond at the beginning, do another bog, or a combination of the two. In any case it will mean hauling more rock into yard which I am not looking forward to.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have changed my ponds so much over the years, not much is original... it always gets bigger each time. Then old pond stuff starts to show up in the front yard and suddenly a little water feature becomes another pond. I got my mind very busy thinking of all the projects for spring, like a new fence in the back, and a create a new sitting area behind this rustic old garage out back... the thing is so darn old, like 80 years old or more, and now it is starting to look real good!! I thought a rustic bench next to it and extend new fence behind it and a flower bed or two... I got to get a picture out back soon, the wood is so old it has turned rusty red in areas.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
NEVER DONE NEVER FINISHED WE ARE ALL POND NUTS :LOL: :LOL: get the straight jackets

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Some winter pics of my pond. We received about 2" of snow yesterday, just missed getting 5 or more by about 20 miles.

P1040822.JPG

Here is a pic of my bog and creek.
P1040821.JPG

P1040820.JPG

Here the fish are all huddled together trying to stay warm.
P1040823.JPG

Ask a Question