Pondless stream max depth??

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all your advice and help. I will look into that other brand of filter it's not a large aviary and we will probably only have 4 mandarin ducks in it. We have mallards but they are loose in the yard and would make a horrible mess in such an enclosed area.

I was looking at the pump vaults available and I was thinking about the snorkel or centipede.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If you are going to utilize matrix blocks you do not need a centipede. Check pump vaults from other manufacturers, you may find a better price than Aquascape.
Could you post some photos?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will check out some other brands pump vaults. I really have to keep this project as cheap as I can.

There really isn't anything to take a picture of yet except a pile of rocks my kids and I have been collecting. I will share pictures when I get it started. I appreciate all the help. I'm sure im being a bit of a pest but one last question. What size pump do I need for what we have planned?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This will depend solely on the width of the waterfall weir (spillway). Generally for a minimally decent waterfall a flow rate of 100 gallons per inch of weir width is recommended.

Of course you also need to take into account the head height. Figure 4' for the actual rise, 2.5' for the pipe run, and another foot or so for fittings. So make sure you are looking at the flow rates of pumps at 8' of head.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Of course you also need to take into account the head height. Figure 4' for the actual rise, 2.5' for the pipe run, and another foot or so for fittings. So make sure you are looking at the flow rates of pumps at 8' of head.

The base ratings for most pumps is at 5 ft. head. An additional 3 feet will make little difference in flow rate.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I beg to differ. The pump I just bought is a "6000 GPH" model. 6600 GPH at 0' or 1' head. 5000 GPH at 5' and down to 3000 GPH at 10' of head.

Here's a chart for a popular line of pumps: http://www.azponds.com/laguna_maxflo_chart.htm

You are correct. I should have stated direct drive pumps. Mag drives are notorious for the loss of flow with increase of head.

Ask a Question