Reducing Depth of Pond

Reaction score
A picture of the existing pond would be very helpful!
Another idea would be to dump sand into the existing pond and then put a new liner down on top of it.
If you have to put something like rocks into the pond, I would go with the smallest gravel possible, or maybe even sand. I say this because it will be less likely that too much debris will settle into it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
dieselplower said:
A picture of the existing pond would be very helpful!
Another idea would be to dump sand into the existing pond and then put a new liner down on top of it.
If you have to put something like rocks into the pond, I would go with the smallest gravel possible, or maybe even sand. I say this because it will be less likely that too much debris will settle into it.
Good idea except that the pond is something like 20' x 12' -- liner would be a big investment.

Reaction score
My fear in regards to filling the bottom with large rocks, blocks, stones etc is that the liner could be punctured or when it does spring a leak in the future, it will be a train wreck to fix.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for all the advice, guys. Yes, the homeowner does want the water feature, but doesn't want the depth. He is manic about the liability if it's more than the regs allow. So be it. I have 5 koi and 7 goldfish in the 12x20 pond. I will hate to take them from their home, but hopefully will find a good one. Any suggestions for this are welcome.

The pros who put in the pond are coming Weds to figure out how to "raise the floor" The word "cobbles" was mentioned several times in my phone conversation with them, so it sounds like some type of manufactured stone will fill it. I'm not sure what will top it. Maybe flat rock?

I'll share more after I work it out with the designer/builder.

Thanks again for the help. As mentioned I'm interested in any thoughts on how to find my 20-22" koi good homes.

Reaction score
I wonder exactly what the regs state? do you know? In many areas, the regulations state something to the effect, if greater than x feet must be fenced. Fencing, attractive open metal fencing is likely to be more cost effective than rebuilding the pond. And I sure would not want 'cobbles' in my pond.

As for rehoming, try your local koi and water garden clubs, as well as craigslist.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nope, nothing about fencing in our town. Just a max of 2 feet from the "shoreline" up until 8 ft where the depth can go to 3 ft. So it's looks like it's going to be 2 ft all around. There's a big 5 ft fall into this pond, so I guess we'll have to crank that down so we don't lose all the water in splashing out. Should be interesting.

But the buyer loves the house/pond,etc, so I guess he'll like whatever we do aesthetically. I suggested he do it after the fact and we'd credit him the estimate price, but he wants us to do it. I guess he'll have to take whatever I decide is best.

More to follow after I talk with the designer/builder.

I tried to post an image, but couldn't figure out how. Any advice? If so I'll post pics, maybe even before and after.

Thanks again.

Dave

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I think this comes down to what is cheapest? I would not put rocks in my pond or suggest anyone do so but it the buyer is insisting you fix it and if it is the cheapest give him what he wants and get the heck out of there. Even better I would put some of the money from the sale in escrow for him to hire people to fix it after the sale. That insulates you from any problems that come up during the work.

When I dig ponds I always try to keep the dirt by using it else where in the yard. The last time I moved we rented a bobcat and pushed everything followed by the dirt into the holes and the new owner was ready to lay sod.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
We did the same thing, pushed all the dirt back in from the water fall and flower beds. Just found out this week the new owners are putting a new pond, guess where? yep same sopt I took the last one up from. LOL

Reaction score
If the new owner is not going to have fish in the pond, it wouldn't make much difference about stuff falling between the rocks, right? You would still want to protect the liner though.

Ask a Question