Water Moccasin Snake

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
So the snake tried to get the dead fish or frog and gets tangled in the net? If you aren't to touch it, what happens....you wait for it to die? Oh gosh, this is something I hope to never try!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like snakes, we do have poisonous ones but not many. The few I have seen in the yard leave as soon as they see me.
I like snakes, as well, and mostly we have non-venomous ones here. BUT, one that we HAVE spotted in the yard is one that I fear would be difficult to chase away on initial contact, is the Copperhead! It is an "ambush" predator, which means it sits in wait for unwary prey.......scary! Fortunately, we've only seen one in the yard one time, and we saw it first! And it's amazing how well they blend in with fallen leaves. Beautiful snake, though!

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I like snakes, as well, and mostly we have non-venomous ones here. BUT, one that we HAVE spotted in the yard is one that I fear would be difficult to chase away on initial contact, is the Copperhead! It is an "ambush" predator, which means it sits in wait for unwary prey.......scary! Fortunately, we've only seen one in the yard one time, and we saw it first! And it's amazing how well they blend in with fallen leaves. Beautiful snake, though!
I have seen lots of copperheads on my land. Copperheads and water moccasins are botha type of pit viper making them very aggressive and poisonous but the water moccasin is more poisonous and usually more aggressive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Big Lou - is there any update? I need to know how this ends!

The only WM we ever hear of around here are Northern Water Snakes that are misidentified. I am NOT moving south...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
FWIW, I heard a Blue Ridge Parkway ranger giving a talk on area wildlife last year. He said that one of the best creatures to you have in your yard was a plain old black snake, or even a garden snake. He said they were highly territorial and would chase off the rattlers and copperheads native to this area. He may be right. I've seen both black and garden snakes around my yard, but none of the scary kind. But I'm careful when I open my filter anyway. Ya' never know!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
FWIW, I heard a Blue Ridge Parkway ranger giving a talk on area wildlife last year. He said that one of the best creatures to you have in your yard was a plain old black snake, or even a garden snake. He said they were highly territorial and would chase off the rattlers and copperheads native to this area. He may be right. I've seen both black and garden snakes around my yard, but none of the scary kind. But I'm careful when I open my filter anyway. Ya' never know!
We have speckled king snakes (which are blackish). They eat other snakes, even venomous ones. Good neighbors!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I recommend a large caliber weapon. I keep snake shot in my Colt Single Action Army .45 revolver when out in snake country. Once you have killed the villain, place it's head on a pike as a warning to all other WM's in the area.

But then I am no professional in matter, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
morewater she stayed at a holiday inn express! She would obviously angle the shot to hit the snake and then ricochet upwards off a tiny lone grain of sand.
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS!
:singing:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have large rat snakes and black snakes. Everynow and then i see little green and grey ones. They are more then welcome in our yard.

Ask a Question