white worms found in my pond

Reaction score
I'm hoping somebody can help me identify white worms found in my pond. This is my second year for my pond, last year it was beautifully clear all season long. I did not cover it for the winter and in the spring the pond had a lot of debris in it, such as leaves and dirt. The water started to turn green with algea growth by the time I was about to start the pump and waterfall. I emptied the water and cleaned out the debris, I also scrubbed the walls to get rid of the algea. In amongst the debris, I found hundreds of white worms about an inch in length, with one end seeming to be kind of flat. The next day I noticed more of the worms present with more appearing every day after. By the 7th day after emptying, cleaning and refilling the pond, the water started to get green again. I removed the worms that had reappeared. I was hoping that somebody could tell me what these worms are and how to get rid of them for good!

My water is still green, I have used a pond enzyme several times and have just added a few plants.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
We do have a introduction page, it would be nice to introduce yourself and tell more about your pond. trying to figure out what the white worms are by that post is, well lets say virtually impossible. Pics would help, I've read a lot of first time postings and I must say from that short read I have to say I don't think anyone has posted more things they did wrong than you have. So lets see if we can help you out
first off, you never want to leave the pond over the winter full of debris, there is nothing that can help break all that STUFF/JUNK/DEBRIS what ever we are going to call it down so it just sits there and rots all winter long, Second, taking a pond down and scrubbing everything clean, well you just started a new slate, new pond, new cycling of the filter, and you didn't mention if you had fish but if so, well they are producing waste and there is nothing there to help break it down. yep turned green, That is going to happen when there is more nutrition (Fish waste, nitrates, sunlight) for the algae cells to reproduce than the filter can eliminate. This pond enzyme you added, Is it a sludge removal enzyme? if so what sludge is it removing, you already got rid of the sludge.
So lets get you back on the right track, first off do you have a test kit? if so what are the water parameters showing? PH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Gen. hardness, K hardness would help in trying to figure out if all this is from water issues or not, second, lets try and figure out what those white worms are. can you take a pic and post it so we can see what your dealing with, Third, get a bacteria supplement, not a sludge removal product. You need a good bacteria bed to help keep things balanced. Forth give us more details, pond size, in the sun, in the shade, do you have plants, how many fish do you have, what else in the pond? and again pics here would help too. you have come to the right place for help, Start reading here and use the search to find information about cycling a pond, and maintaining a pond. Your not the first nor the last to make these mistakes, learning about what mistakes you made and how to avoid them are essential in keeping a pond,

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep agree with fishin, don't scrub off the good algae. You have started with a new pond, now it needs to cycle.

Welcome to the group we will attempt to help you, pictures help us the best.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomecreek5.gif
lesliecarey

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I might add, NEVER put chemicals in your pond...... EVER

Let it cycle naturally (you must have fish in it to do this) and keep it clean by netting and filtering debris out. Add a Bio Filter and floating plants (60% coverage) and you will never see green water again.

Don't worry about the worms, they are protien for your fish and are more healthy than any food you can buy in a bag. If the fish are healthy, they will keep the worm population to a level where you will never see them.

Now, please do an introduction and tell us about your pond and fish.

Ask a Question