18 dead

Reaction score
Would you recommend me putting a simple air bubbler in there today?. I had a thin layer of ice last night again maybe about 1/16 of an inch and one more Koi was dead. I am also wondering if I have Fish at the bottom dead including my bass. I cannot see to the bottom at this point.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I don't think that the pump you're using is large enough to provide for sufficient gas exchange.
Cold water will contain more dissolved O2, but you may have a buildup of CO2, which could create a condition where fish will die in water that contains otherwise survivable levels of O2.
Here is a study that demonstrates that.
http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/handle/1957/7435

Anything you do to increase the level of gas exchange would be good. My best recommendation would be a pond breather.
Post the dissolved O2 number when you get it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I run a Pond Breather and a small aerator during winter. I suspend 4 airstones about one foot down, in 4 different locations around the pond. I have my Pondbreather stationed in the deepest area of my pond.

I have a bigger aerator for summer months.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group, sorry your fish are losing the winter battle.

I run a pond breather and a very small pump in my large pond. The pond breather in the deep end the pump in the shallow end around 25 feet apart. So far no issues I do not have Koi.
I quit using a aerator after a neighbor lost all his fish one winter, running a aerator. It was keeping 1/2 of the pond open, think he super chilled the water. It was one of the real cold winters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I run a Pond Breather and a small aerator during winter. I suspend 4 airstones about one foot down, in 4 different locations around the pond. I have my Pondbreather stationed in the deepest area of my pond.

I have a bigger aerator for summer months.
i agree .... aerator is a must or have a waterfall running drop from 1 to 2 ft in summers it adds more life to the pond and extra oxy for bacteria and fishes , in winters many fish die from oxygen problem under ice

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just had a biology teacher come over my house and test the water. I can't believe it. There is less than one parts per million of oxygen. She is thinking .5 or less . We did a sample in the middle of the pond and on the edge. There was slightly more in the middle. Just for arguments sake we did a water sample on a fish watet that I have in my house. The oxygen level was at eight.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Do you know who manufactured the test kit that she used?
A level of 0.5 or less is considered anoxic. Very little plant or animal life would survive under these conditions. A level that low in any pond is suspect. I would retest when your test kit arrives.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
similar all dead Modern Koi Blog #729 - Fast alle Koi tot! - YouTube

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just went to a pond store to get some air tubing and they once again said I am way off on this. Their reply was if I had oxygen deficiency my ammonia test would of failed. I removed 3 more today that were floating. I cannot see the bottom of The pond so I am not sure if there are any dead fish. there. The numbers maybe slightly off because I'm not getting a digital reading but compared to my fish aquarium inside and my outside pond there is no comparison

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Did video show a guy who essentially covered the pond with floating matts so he can insulate it and the koi died?
At first I thought the fish he was tossing on the ground were just toys since they looked so good..

Reaction score
I have a lot of aeration going on right now. Will do test on Friday. What do you think at this point?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have a lot of aeration going on right now. Will do test on Friday. What do you think at this point?
I think you're doing what you can. You've got aeration going and have ordered test kits, as well as reached out to a biology teacher and spoken to the pond store.

Ask a Question