1st time pondless waterfall build

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Jack was that 1 1/2" tubing? looks awesome, like the idea of the pipe as it seems easier to use than a sump pit (which I always thought of using if I did one) like sissy said and should be strong enough/small enough that you don't have to worry about someone walking on it and getting hurt like waterbug said, although you would hope no one would be that foolish. Baboiler, I would still think though you will want your basin a little bigger than 70 gallons. As for size I believe the gallons formula is LxWxDx7.48. Like the idea for what you are planning.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only thing is cost for those pipes I know I extended my drainage ditch and those pipes only come 20 ft long and cost around a 160 dollars for the 12 inch size one .I guess it would not be bad if you were building several .The sump pump vault about 30 to 50 dollars it just depends on what size .I guess one of those barrels would work that people use for filters .

Reaction score
Hello again. I am still SLOWLY moving on this project. I had a couple other landscape projects to finish before I could get going on waterfall. Anyway here are a couple pics of what I have started.Not very good pics but the basic idea is to run the beginning of the stream parallell with the patio then turn down into the 1st fall and have 1 or 2 more falls as the stream makes it way to the bottom of the hill. I had made my mind up on using a 115 gallon stock tank as my basin but as I look at what I have started I now have concerns that 115 gallon may not be enough. I have not measured anything yet but I am guessing 16" to 20" will be the width at the falls. I just want enough depth to the stream so you can see the water moving. I think this is how this thread started - I'll go back and re-read all of it. I really need a good calculator for this. Suggestions always welcome on any part of this project. By the way the deck rebuild turned into deck demo and laying a paver patio instead. I also wanted to get my stairs put in so I could run the stream/waterfall were it would look best. Add into that planting garden and spring flowers. It's been a busy spring already!
2.jpg
1.jpg

Reaction score
Here is an update and a couple pics to kinda wrap up this thread. Other than a few small items the falls are pretty well finished. We are pretty happy with how it turned out and it has been operating well for the first couple weeks. I have some in process pics also if anyone is interested. Thanks to all posters here for the suggestions made.
IMG_20120704_171333.jpg
IMG_20120708_170139.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well have to say that is a good job and guessing if thats your daughter she agrees .I like the steps coming down they are nice and wide .Nice place for a wedding .Future father of that little bride ,she could pretend for now :razz:

Reaction score
Thanks. I have to admit it made my heart skip a beat to think of my baby getting married : ) Unfortunately I am sure it will be upon us all to soon. They do enjoy the waterfall and both of my girls helped out building it. Their attention span was pretty short but they helped move quite a few stones.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They grow up fast and people used to say that when my sons were little and now one is in his later 30's and the other will be 26 on the 28 th of July so time goes by faster than you can imagine .Enjoy them and remember and treasure these times .

Ask a Question