2 layers of liner better then 1?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The side walls are in no danger of caving in, that much I am sure. I am more worried about some of the shelves. If I wanted to put say a lilly shelf in and use 4 cinder blocks sitting right up against the side wall, could I just lay them in? In other words just push the blocks up and stack them, fill them with dirt or drive a piece of rebar to hold it? Then cover it with an extra piece of pond liner I have, then the underlayment and then liner?

I am just not sure how much the water pushing will hold the shelves in place.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your shelve may be a bit soft but it looks like you only have a one foot drop or so.and if you can dig out the shape in the photo and not have rains wash in your sides you should be fine so long as your not placing or cataleaving heavy rock on your self. but I would leave a fold where if things do decide to shift you have extra liner allowing for things to move

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone ever used say 4 or 6 cinder blocks as a lilly shelf? Stacked them say 2 high, filed them with dirt and just have them against the wall as a shelf, then covered them with underlayment liner?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
one corner of my pond has a shelf done that way but it was last minute as when I increased the size of the pond I forgot about the gutter pipe that runs the water away from the house .I was not digging up 50 feet of pipe to reset it .The top of my pond is done with block to raise the sides .You can see it in my pond build .I have 4 layers of block now with the soil filling them and rebar inside

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-8-12_10-3-17.gif
@Brilis

Ask a Question