2 layers of liner better then 1?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Below the box where you type your reply to this post ou will see three "buttons" - Post Reply, Upload a File and More Options. Click on upload file. I find it's easiest if the photo I want to post is on my desktop already, but I store all my photos in the cloud so I have to download them to the computer first.

Hope that helps!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
before you post you will see post reply then upload a file and you click on upload a file and it will go to your pics on your puter ,cell phones not sure about

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hope this works hah.

Attachments

• Pond 2.JPG
    Pond 2.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 310
  • Pond building.JPG
    Pond building.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 287
Reaction score
Country
United States
More

Attachments

• Pond 4.JPG
    Pond 4.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 268
  • Pond 3.JPG
    Pond 3.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 263
Reaction score
Country
United States
The light colored sand on the bottom was from my smaller pond install and not part of the soil. I added it for the bottom of my smaller pond which was removed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can step on the shelf on the left side. It is not rock solid. If I stepped hard and more by the edge, probably would cave a bit.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
once water is in the weight of the water should keep it in place .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Sissy. I kind of agree. I think the one side has some weaker shelves. Maybe for that I will put a few blocks in and build a small water Lilly shelf.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmmm... I'm not sure I agree with that, but it's hard to tell from a photo what you're dealing with. We live where clay is the standard as deep as you can dig. A little water and some tamping and you basically have concrete. I've never dealt with sandy soil.

I just have a very firm belief that you need to be able to step and walk on all parts of your pond - shelves, rocks, edges, etc. You need to be able to maintain it for one, and you also don't want someone inadvertently stepping on an unstable edge or rock and having a disaster happen. And you for sure don't want things collapsing after you get it all put together.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great point. How much stability does the water pushing on the walls and shelves offer?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
True about that in a way as sand will move in heavy rain .Do you know also what your water table is like .Ground water under the liner can be a disaster .Are you building the sides of the pond higher that the ground as you don't want sand washing into the pond .You looked like you had some loam in your soil .In heavy rain any thing can happen .Does your surrounding soil drain well .Even In Edison I had soil with sand in it .But it helped with the digging and was great for root veggies

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could get some heavy plastic and dig a test hole and fill it with water and see what happens .A heavy duty garbage bag would work for your test hole

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did you ever build a pond with that kind of soil/sand mix in Edison? The soil drains very well. It can pour down all day and there is no standing water in the hole. I have been working on this for a month now with no tarp over it.
Even after the rain, no standing water at all. The sand does pack down pretty good.

The edges are going to be sloped 3-4 inches away from the pond. I am torn about the block hah.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It took years of adding grass clippings and leaf mulch for my veggies garden .I had a dog pool in the ground in the back yard and did not have a problem except 1 time when my neighbors septic tank over flowed during a very hard rain .That was when the tornado hit Metuchen and the rain on our property was at over a foot deep and running fast since we were down at the bottom of the small hill .This is the private road that leads to the house ,I took the pic last month .We were the last house and only 3 houses on each side of the road
100_3828.JPG
100_3829.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would tend to err on the safe side and add block if you're not 100% sure your sides will hold. Of course adding block will mean more digging assuming you want to keep the same size and shape you currently have.

Ask a Question