2 prongs water pump, is it safe?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I recently ordered a new sicce pump due to energy efficient rating. But I was very surprised when I received it to find out that it only has 2 prongs without the ground prong. I thought the whole idea of installing gfci outlet for our pond is to protect us from the accidental shock. But without the ground prong, my gfci won't work. Just wondering if I should just return the pump.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
GFCI's work by stopping the electricity flow if there is too much difference between the electricity going to and coming from the pump, so your GFCI will still work.

What brand pump did you buy?

edit, I see it's a Sicce brand. It has a plastic case, so no ground wire is needed on the plug.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Mitch,

Thanks for your feedback. Good to know that gfci will still work and I can use the pump.

GFCI's work by stopping the electricity flow if there is too much difference between the electricity going to and coming from the pump, so your GFCI will still work.

What brand pump did you buy?

edit, I see it's a Sicce brand. It has a plastic case, so no ground wire is needed on the plug.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hi, I recently ordered a new sicce pump due to energy efficient rating. But I was very surprised when I received it to find out that it only has 2 prongs without the ground prong. I thought the whole idea of installing gfci outlet for our pond is to protect us from the accidental shock. But without the ground prong, my gfci won't work. Just wondering if I should just return the pump.

If it's sold with a "UL" designation, then it's perfectly safe. I suspect that you've got one of the smaller units, rather than the higher output models. I would think that the higher output models would in fact have 3-prong plugs.

I don't get the "bi-polar" description, however.

Does that mean that sometimes they want to be plugged in, but then as soon as they're plugged in, they want to be unplugged, then plugged in, then unplugged.................:unsure:

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's CE, I think it's the equivalent of UL in Europe. Yes, small one, the 40 watts one.

If it's sold with a "UL" designation, then it's perfectly safe. I suspect that you've got one of the smaller units, rather than the higher output models. I would think that the higher output models would in fact have 3-prong plugs.

I don't get the "bi-polar" description, however.

Does that mean that sometimes they want to be plugged in, but then as soon as they're plugged in, they want to be unplugged, then plugged in, then unplugged.................:unsure:

Ask a Question