2022 caught 20 , 2023 #22 - #27 just caught about 18inches

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Snakes are reptiles they love heat. Make a trap using heat , a heated rock from the pet store. Use a compound bucket with like a net opening like a lobster trap. You'll catch more snakes then you'd believe.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Will try that, right now we are cooking all the time. As it cools will make a heated trap. I have power down there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
My egrets get the snakes as soon as they appear...They haven't caught any fish but they make fast work of the snakes....I haven't seen one in months (hope I didn't just jinx myself:( Sounds like a good idea that GBBUDD has...fingers crossed it works!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Only problem is I hear it's been low 90s down there but you may luck out at night. Put the bucket at a wall so it's easy for them to get in. Make sure they can't get under it .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol high 90s, very close to 100.

Here is the new one, hanging out in the Bottom of a trash can
20230730_101552.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I grab the snake with a snake grabber, stuff in pillow case, tie shut.

The garbage can is deep enough it can not lunge out. They sure try.

When dumping open door, untie, dump snake out. Big enough case no way can the snake get close to my hands.

A lot easier then taking trap and opening, or transferring to another bucket etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I grab the snake with a snake grabber, stuff in pillow case, tie shut.

The garbage can is deep enough it can not lunge out. They sure try.

When dumping open door, untie, dump snake out. Big enough case no way can the snake get close to my hands.

A lot easier then taking trap and opening, or transferring to another bucket etc.
When we relocate our copperheads, (caught with tongs & 'stored' in a garbage can) we take the entire 33 gallon garbage can for a 'ride' in the back of our Kawasaki mule & then dump the snakes directly out of it onto the ground. With them, the less handling/transferring the better. With our Nessie, I caught her with the snake tongs & put her in a covered 5 gallon bucket. Then we took her over to our community fishing pond & dumped her out. I've never had any success with snake traps & fortunately our Nessie was a one & done (at least so far...)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
None of our cars haul a trash can easily. I would not be as casual with a copperhead. I have only seen one here years ago.

I used to.put them in a 5 gallon bucket, but the bigger ones can get out easily and fast, as you try to slam a lid down. I grab them gently , dear hubby or great neighbor hold the pillow case, king size.

I had 4 traps in, only one has ever caught snakes. So I removed the others. Right now a old egg, some small fake eggs and a piece of meat. And a hanging fake fish, hooks removed.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh I also take the lock off the minnow trap, ie locked hook, pick up carefully, put in the trash can. Encourage the snake to leave the trap.
Then remove the trap put back in the pond lid on trash can until pillow case transfer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh I also take the lock off the minnow trap, ie locked hook, pick up carefully, put in the trash can. Encourage the snake to leave the trap.
Then remove the trap put back in the pond lid on trash can until pillow case transfer.
When you do something often enough, you get the technique perfected! :LOL:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No power bad storm, lil snake drowned during massive rain fall.

Might be back on line Thursday

Ask a Question