3rd season with pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
hello, I am new to this forum, but I have had my pond 3 summers now. Well, it was a larger pond, but I had to reconfigure due to leaking issues, so now it is smaller and a bit more manageable. I have recently gotten a mature koi from a friend, I have a younger/smaller koi, two shebunkin, 4 orange comets, one orange and white comet, three one-year old comet/shebunkin mixes and who knows how many fry at this point...I have counted ten, but they are pretty good at hiding. Of course my pond is nowhere near 'finished'! I am planning a waterfall feature that goes under a bridge and falls into a larger pond some day in the future...my timetable is about 5 years from now. The reason I stopped by here is the rescue that happened today. The white and orange comet decided to jump out of the shallow end, the flies had found him, and I was sure he was a goner. I poured a little water on him and his gill moved! So I sat with him in my hand moving him back and forth til he started gulping for water and moving a bit. I then put him in one of the Rubbermaid stock tanks with an aerator and a screen cover because he would not have been able to rest in the pond with the large koi who immediately went after him. I hope he makes it, since it will be neat to tell his survival story....if only I had known this trick when my blue koi had jumped out last fall before I could get the tank covered! He was a little more stiff, so I doubt he woulda made it, but I still miss him. Anyway, glad to be here.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Hope your fish does OK. I had a similar thing happen, and I was very lucky that the fish survived.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcme and lets hope he makes it .I found at my local petsmart meds. from national geographic and they work great on injured fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
I blame my youngest sister. She has a small pond in Oregon, and while I was visiting her in August 2013 to help after her back surgery, I cleaned the pump and got the waterfall feature working again. When I got home I started scraping the ground with a small spade....then The husband came in with the backhoe! It was a bit larger than I intended, but one thing led to another. It was an awesome pond that was about 12'x14' but the undefined edges and the fact I used a waterproof tarp (saving money) led to leaking after one fall and one summer. I couldn't get the water to fall the way I envisioned, and it was just frustrating, not to mention a bear to clean in the fall and spring. So I pulled up the pavers of the patio area and started with the small spade again. This pond is a little more manageable, and yes, I used a tarp again, but I plan on reliving it properly in a season or two. I wanted to make sure it worked out before investing more cash. I underlaid it with an old swimming pool liner first. I'll try to post pics when I get on the desk computer. The whole job is ginormous...there is still a lot of work to be done on the sitting area and the firepit (which is where the pond used to be). And of course that work doesn't do itself while I sit there watching the fish....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
hello, I am new to this forum, but I have had my pond 3 summers now. Well, it was a larger pond, but I had to reconfigure due to leaking issues, so now it is smaller and a bit more manageable. I have recently gotten a mature koi from a friend, I have a younger/smaller koi, two shebunkin, 4 orange comets, one orange and white comet, three one-year old comet/shebunkin mixes and who knows how many fry at this point...I have counted ten, but they are pretty good at hiding. Of course my pond is nowhere near 'finished'! I am planning a waterfall feature that goes under a bridge and falls into a larger pond some day in the future...my timetable is about 5 years from now. The reason I stopped by here is the rescue that happened today. The white and orange comet decided to jump out of the shallow end, the flies had found him, and I was sure he was a goner. I poured a little water on him and his gill moved! So I sat with him in my hand moving him back and forth til he started gulping for water and moving a bit. I then put him in one of the Rubbermaid stock tanks with an aerator and a screen cover because he would not have been able to rest in the pond with the large koi who immediately went after him. I hope he makes it, since it will be neat to tell his survival story....if only I had known this trick when my blue koi had jumped out last fall before I could get the tank covered! He was a little more stiff, so I doubt he woulda made it, but I still miss him. Anyway, glad to be here.
I blame my youngest sister. She has a small pond in Oregon, and while I was visiting her in August 2013 to help after her back surgery, I cleaned the pump and got the waterfall feature working again. When I got home I started scraping the ground with a small spade....then The husband came in with the backhoe! It was a bit larger than I intended, but one thing led to another. It was an awesome pond that was about 12'x14' but the undefined edges and the fact I used a waterproof tarp (saving money) led to leaking after one fall and one summer. I couldn't get the water to fall the way I envisioned, and it was just frustrating, not to mention a bear to clean in the fall and spring. So I pulled up the pavers of the patio area and started with the small spade again. This pond is a little more manageable, and yes, I used a tarp again, but I plan on reliving it properly in a season or two. I wanted to make sure it worked out before investing more cash. I underlaid it with an old swimming pool liner first. I'll try to post pics when I get on the desk computer. The whole job is ginormous...there is still a lot of work to be done on the sitting area and the firepit (which is where the pond used to be). And of course that work doesn't do itself while I sit there watching the fish....

Hi Marlee you only have another 25 summers and you'll have caught Val and I up .
Welcome to the forum from a very warm and sunny Plymouth UK :cool:
We looked after a koi that had dried out a bit like your comet however just how dried out was the little guy when you found him ?
If the answer is quite dried then I'll tell you now that they normally dont recover that sort of accident [it can and does happen] tell me did you Quarentine the fish prior to its going into your pond .
If your answer is no then you are playing a dangrous game with the lives of your koi and goldfish and from now on all your fish should spend from 4 to 8 weeks in QT before being allowed in the pond
Otherwise you may get a parastic infection that could if not treated take all of your koi and goldfish out so its best to have a QT pond and filter along with pump for all evenualities .

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Marlee you only have another 25 summers and you'll have caught Val and I up .
Welcome to the forum from a very warm and sunny Plymouth UK :cool:
We looked after a koi that had dried out a bit like your comet however just how dried out was the little guy when you found him ?
If the answer is quite dried then I'll tell you now that they normally dont recover that sort of accident [it can and does happen] tell me did you Quarentine the fish prior to its going into your pond .
If your answer is no then you are playing a dangrous game with the lives of your koi and goldfish and from now on all your fish should spend from 4 to 8 weeks in QT before being allowed in the pond
Otherwise you may get a parastic infection that could if not treated take all of your koi and goldfish out so its best to have a QT pond and filter along with pump for all evenualities .

Dave
It was in a separate tank after about 2 minutes when I saw the big koi go after him. He lived one day, but didn't make it overnight. Probably too much trauma.

Ask a Question