40gal going on 200gal, then 10,000!

jb510

We’re going to need a bigger shovel
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I built a little 40 gal outdoor pond this past summer to test the waters so to speak. It's been fun and I'm now building a bigger (200gal) pond with proper filtration and a little water fall above it. My goals are really just to keep a few gold fish and plants alive year round in the mountains of Southern California, where that means highs in the 90's in the summer, but a little snow and occasional 20F overnight low in the winter.

Maybe someday I'll build a huge pond of my dreams with massive koi, but it won't be here, while there is lots of land, none of it is fla

Attachments

• Monosnap 2020-11-28 21-09-49.jpg
    Monosnap 2020-11-28 21-09-49.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 87
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome! There are options for building a pond that goes up, you could even try digging down a little bit, then build the walls till it’s the right size, and drop a liner in it, secure the liner and bam, you’re pond is ready for water!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome, The area doesn’t need to be flat, you can alway dig the hole placing the dirt on the downhill side building it up and making it relatively flat. Using rocks to create a retaining wall of sorts on the downhill side, to keep the dirt berm from washing down the hill.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and my land is not flat I had to build up the front and i have hard red clay ,you could make bricks with it .If you have rocky property it could be a big pain ,nice rocks but to many is too many

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
one thing I will say if you could work with those huge boulders to make some sort of waterfall or even jsut as a landscape element, that would be gorgeous!

popeye46

Frogville
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Those awesome rocks would cost a fortune here in MICHIGAN......ever think of shipping them.....lol

Ask a Question