HELP... going crazy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Been battling with a leak for the past 3 week my pond have a liner were the roots punch a hole I sealed it still leaking I cover it with mortal mix cement and sprayed it with flex seal to cover the cement damm thing still leak in 3 days water drop 3 inches going crazy but at least Koi's are happy in temporary pool

Reaction score
Country
United States
here is a picture

Attachments

• 20200929_182953.png
    20200929_182953.png
    172.4 KB · Views: 89

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1605459114430.gif
@jorge
I've never had to deal w/a leak from a hole in liner so far so I can't help ya but just wanted to say hello.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So three leaks? First, clean off that other stuff. Get some scraps of same kind of liner to patch with, you want A few inches of extra to all sides, then clean the area very well, and apply an appropriate glue and glue the patches in place. There are threads about what glues are recommended, based on where it will be in the pond, how much movement there is, etc. However, you may wish to take the opportunity to place something such as underliner, carpet scraps, or other things to prevent this from happening again, because if the root is angled that way, it’ll do it again.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome.

Is your pond a liner pond or a concrete pond?

Your sentence-post is one continuous run-on sentence with no punctuation, so sometimes that can make it hard for a reader to comprehend what you are talking about — since it all runs together. And not to be picky, but the pic you posted doesn’t really give us any information.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
liner were the roots punch a hole I sealed it still leaking I cover it with mortal mix cement
Welcome!

I don't think a mortar mix will seal well to a liner pond. You need to really clean the areas of the leak, have some extra pieces of liner and do a patch with a good glue.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Maybe it's time for a new liner? Have you resolved the root issue before you try dealing with the liner?

And - welcome to the GPF!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Mortar mix is cement based which is not compatible with a flexible liner.

In order for any of us to suggest what glue or method of patching would be appropriate, we would need to know exactly what material your liner is made of. There's EPDM, HDRPE, PVC....

The area would need to be totally clean and dry.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was reading thru the entire forum and looks like many people have problem with leaks. so I turned off my water fall and filter, I placed a round post and marked the water level tomorrow ill check the water level many people said pluming is the #1 cause of leaks. what I did notice my filter the water level was all the way to the bottom, I brought the water level up and ill check tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20201115_173723.png
    20201115_173723.png
    183.3 KB · Views: 72
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, it's always good to shut off all the plumbing when experiencing a leak.
There's a lot of places in the plumbing that can be the culprit.

Huh? Oh wait, I though a root punctured your liner.
What's the deal? Hole in liner or leak somewhere else? Or both?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Both. I repaired the holes after shutting down all filters and water fall. I notice the water in the filter was down all the way, now I notice the in hose to the DIY waterfall pluming that connects to a pvc is wet so going to take that apart today

Attachments

• 20201115_174606.png
    20201115_174606.png
    143 KB · Views: 61
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep I agree @poconojoe I have liner under everything, under the base of my waterfall too.
Yes, there absolutely has to be a liner under your waterfall. It is the very basic but utmost important part of your waterfall.
The liner needs to be shaped in a concave fashion and pitched properly toward the pond. This is important for when water gets around, over and under your waterfall rocks it cannot escape and will only return to the pond.

Just think of it like this...the rocks forming your waterfall are there just to make it all look good and somewhat guide the water to make it pleasing to the eye. The liner is the most important part.

Ask a Question