Is my fish going to pop?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey there,
So now that I got all my fish healthy after feeding them the peas, the fish I call "Tank" has always had a different body style. I am thinking it's a she, so I will have to call her "Tank Girl". Ha! Anyway, she has stopped growing lengthwise and is getting a massive girth. Could it be she is holding eggs, and can't find a spot in my small pond to lay them? I swear if she gets any fatter, she is going to explode!! She is the only one that looks like that, and all the other fish keep going under her and push up on her butt. Are they trying to coax her to lay eggs? I notice that other fish are doing that to each other as well. Seems to be a lot of that going on lately. I will go down and try to get a good picture of her in a bit to show you. Any clue as to what is going on, and advise will be much appreciated. Thanks all

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 126
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
They are spawning. She is most likely full of eggs. The females get chased relentlessly by the males. Sometimes 3 or 4 males chasing one female. It's all normal. Unfortunately the females get beat up sometimes. The pond can get all stirred up by the crazy movement too. Fish splash the surface. A lot of action.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Have had mine go over the water falls to escape the males chasing them. Problem is it is almost impossible to catch them from the lower pond and move back up to the top.....Hey any type of goldfish trap to place in a pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks guys, I was just getting worried that she might have some other issues, as she keeps getting bigger and bigger. So I don't think I have ever seen eggs in the pond, does she have to lay them or expel them either way? What would that look like and would they be protected by her or would the others mess with them, as in eat them? If they did make it, would they get eaten by the others?? So many questions!!! I've never been a fish daddy before, will they grow up to be good healthy smart fish? HA!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The eggs will stick to lily pads, the sides of the pond and just about anything else. You can see them, but they are small....look like small gel like globs. Koi and gold fish will dine on the eggs, but some usually survive. Koi won't eat them after they hatch, not sure about gold fish.

Ask a Question