7 months later!

Reaction score
The time has come and I am finally home! :toothy12:
I deployed from 13 May til 8 Dec and after a couple days enjoying the family and hanging about the house its ponding time again :D

When I left the pond was just a couple weeks old with a fountain, waterfall, and extra power head. 5 koi all about 2-3 inches and a couple snails.

Yesterday the pond was crystal clear minus all the leaves at teh bottom and floating on top and there was no power. At some point the cord had a fire and melted at teh connection. thankfully no major damage. I replaced teh cord and now the only thing running is the 1000 gph mag running into the waterfall. I scooped all of the leaves out and the craw fish the renter had thrown in 'to keep it clean'. I cought 4 of the five koi, one is still MIA. Oh goodness have they grown!! all of them are 10 inches!

the water temp is about 50, this morning it was 32 outside when I left for work at 5am. I got a pvc and net screen built yesterday for keeping the leaves out. I did leave teh waterfall running.

questions to the far more expirenced (this is my first winter and I really want to fair it well)

should I go and build the 55 gal and have it running all winter? ( i would take the pump from the waterfall and run it into the barrels)

the pond is a prefaba dn bright blue, the alge that is currently covering it almost looks like littel green worm shapes, not stringing off but just an odd parren, it is also on all of the rocks; is that normal?

I am going to start building the bigger pond in a couple weeks, about 3000 when complete; are the four 10 inch koi going to sleep well enough in 250 gallons for three months or should I build an indoor pond like the other member (sorry i blanked on your name) showed with teh 4x4s?

I will be posting pictures of the koi and pond here in the next few days.
thanks for any advice :D

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Reaction score
:D unfortunaly they won't come out during the day at all
I spotted them the night prior to cleaning thanks to my little solar spot lights
They havn't really been social for a few months, I'm really hoping after the winter and the expansion they will get friendly
I was poking around the other threads and I saw that some mention to turn the water fall off because it makes the water colder. And there was mention of a tarp...
Sounds like anotehr run to lowes :toothy12:

Reaction score
Welcome home! I wouldn't worry about the barrel right now, and just keep things off as they have been. Just clean all the crud out and build your barrel for your new pond this winter to be ready for the spring. If you are going with 3000 gals, you should do two barrels, as the rule of thumb is one barrel for every 1,500 gals.

Will you be keeping your small pond when you've got the new one up and running?

Reaction score
Welcome Back!

ctrgojo said:
The time has come and I am finally home! :banana:
I deployed from 13 May til 8 Dec and after a couple days enjoying the family and hanging about the house its ponding time again :D

When I left the pond was just a couple weeks old with a fountain, waterfall, and extra power head. 5 koi all about 2-3 inches and a couple snails.

Yesterday the pond was crystal clear minus all the leaves at teh bottom and floating on top and there was no power. At some point the cord had a fire and melted at teh connection. thankfully no major damage. I replaced teh cord and now the only thing running is the 1000 gph mag running into the waterfall. I scooped all of the leaves out and the craw fish the renter had thrown in 'to keep it clean'. I cought 4 of the five koi, one is still MIA. Oh goodness have they grown!! all of them are 10 inches!

the water temp is about 50, this morning it was 32 outside when I left for work at 5am. I got a pvc and net screen built yesterday for keeping the leaves out. I did leave teh waterfall running.

questions to the far more expirenced (this is my first winter and I really want to fair it well)

should I go and build the 55 gal and have it running all winter? ( i would take the pump from the waterfall and run it into the barrels)

the pond is a prefaba dn bright blue, the alge that is currently covering it almost looks like littel green worm shapes, not stringing off but just an odd parren, it is also on all of the rocks; is that normal?

I am going to start building the bigger pond in a couple weeks, about 3000 when complete; are the four 10 inch koi going to sleep well enough in 250 gallons for three months or should I build an indoor pond like the other member (sorry i blanked on your name) showed with teh 4x4s?

I will be posting pictures of the koi and pond here in the next few days.
thanks for any advice :D

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
dont limit yourself to barrels...stocktanks perform exceptionally well... i have both barrel and stocktank upflow filters, and the stocktank is easier to hide. (pond side as waterfall basin). both are excellent..next year i will have my barrel feeding my stocktank for 125 gals of filtration..55gal drum 70gal stocktank

if you want to go with barrels ..call your local carwashes, their soap comes in them, alot of them will give them away if you catch them at the right time others sell them buyt theyre cheap..$10.00 each was average

Reaction score

I was thinking of using the 250 prefab as a stock tanbk filter basin.. and two 55 gal barrels once we get the big pond built. I can't wait for spring!

Reaction score
Yes, welcome back. Sounds like you got a good plan going. You should start collecting materials for preperation of your filter builds durring the winter so you have it ready for when the pond dig starts.

Ask a Question