A bit mirky

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
So I’ve taken on board the patience is a virtue advice and I’ll sit tight.
move been to the garden centre today and was advised by the aquarium expert to get some NT labs live filter bacteria. Ive put this in the pond to kick start the bacteria process in the filter.

how long would you suggest leaving it before hoping for clearer water?

Ive also done a pond test today and ammonia, nitrite and nitrate plus a broad sample all in good parameters

the chap in the aquarium doesn’t think I’ve got algae, but more a case of new pond syndrome and mirky water.
Here’s a pic from today
2B1B4883-0A72-40E1-A8EF-8228E41CBEE5.jpeg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I hate to tell your pond guy, but “new pond syndrome” basically is an algae bloom. Your water also looks a little milky (whitish) which is usually from a bacterial bloom. Neither is harmful, and both will go away. None of us recommend adding “beneficial bacteria” to the pond. That bacteria will grow on its own, and adding extra doesn’t really help — it’s a good way for retailers to make money, though.

Add more plants if you can (floaters and submerged oxygenators) (you have koi, don’t you?). Stop feeding the fish for a few days to reduce ammonia output from the fish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
cheers, Yes not fed today and will leave to reduce output. Difficult to say I know but why times scales are we talking, a week, a month 6months to clear??
Regs Chris

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
cheers, Yes not fed today and will leave to reduce output. Difficult to say I know but why times scales are we talking, a week, a month 6months to clear??
Regs Chris
It takes a pond several weeks to completely cycle, but yours is in the early phase. And I’m sure all ponds are going to be a little different, say 4-6 weeks for a fish cycle.

(This was cool when I did it — like watching a science show on The Discovery Channel!!) — You should be picking up some ammonia when you test your water (but no nitrites or nitrates at first). The next stage, will begin with a rise in nitrites and a slow decline of ammonia. Next, will be the same, but with nitrites being converted to nitrates. That’s when you’ll know your pond has cycled (a very simplified version). There are different bacteria that are involved with each change process.

Along with the rule of PATIENCE, is the rule of not making multiple changes at the same time. Right now, monitor your water, cut back on feeding and enjoy your pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
All great advice!
I also have never added store bought bacteria.
As long as you have all the components in place, just leave it and nature will take it's course.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This was my pond in 2017. June 12 and then again June 16. Nothing was added to the water. As others have said - have patience. Depending how quickly my plants start growing in the spring, I can have an algae bloom that lasts 1 week up to 6 weeks, and some years no algae bloom at all. One year I thinned my plants too much and I had green water for two months!

plants - algae bloom - 2017 June 12, 16.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This was my pond in 2017. June 12 and then again June 16. Nothing was added to the water. As others have said - have patience. Depending how quickly my plants start growing in the spring, I can have an algae bloom that lasts 1 week up to 6 weeks, and some years no algae bloom at all. One year I thinned my plants too much and I had green water for two months!

View attachment 131095
Excellent - that’s the reassurance I was after !! After breaking myself building the thing the last think you want when you look in it is a mirky mess.
Ive left it alone now and let’s see how things progress :)
Thanks for the post
Lovely pond by the way

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Some plants you might want to try that helped my pond when it was new and the other plants weren't very large - water hyacinths, water lettuce (both floating plants), hornwort, anacharis (both submerged plants).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some plants you might want to try that helped my pond when it was new and the other plants weren't very large - water hyacinths, water lettuce (both floating plants), hornwort, anacharis (both submerged plants).
Great thanks our local garden centre is getting a delivery this week of some of these. It’s sold out due to pond mania...!!
Thanks for the advice

Ask a Question