A bully koi

Reaction score
Two years ago, we turned out failed doggie pool into a small pond (dogs hated it!). It holds about 400 gallons (roughly 6' diameter and 3-4' deep). We added some rocks to the bottom and one of those buckets that's a filter with a 1000 GPH pump. After losing several koi due to various reasons, we finally got it right. Our last 2 koi were around for 18 months.

One koi has always bullied the other koi. Always chases the other from behind and taps it on the side. The koi being bullied usually hid in one of the hiding placing. In the last couple of months, we didn't see either koi much and thought it was weird as the weather was warm.

Our local fish store asked us how often we did water changes. Well, that's when we found we had to do water changes and not just "add" water. So last month we did a 50% water change and I added plenty of prime. In the coming weeks, we saw the fish more often and though we had discovered a new trick. Although the bullying continued.

Last week, the koi that was being bullied started going in circles. Upon research, I found this is neurological. After a week of this circling, I put the koi out of it's misery. It wasn't eating or swimming, it just laid there or just swam in circles.

I didn't want the one koi (the bully) to be alone, so today I bought another koi and a goldfish. They are both about 7". The bully koi is 9". As soon as I introduced these two fish today, the bully started picking on the other koi. It's not been 5 hours and the new koi is nowhere to be seen (it's hiding). Now the bully is picking on the goldfish.

What should I do???? I can't separate them. Do I just get rid of the bully? I'd hate to do that after having him for more than a year. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
If I were you, I would have put the bully out of it's misery and not the other fish--or at least tried to rehome the bully to someone who had even bigger koi.

Koi usually are not aggressive fish, but like any creature it certainly can happen. Personally, with a pond that small, I think you need to stick to goldfish. Koi are river fish and need room to grow and swim. Don't forget that a koi can get to 24" in size, and if it doesn't have the space to grow properly they do get a stunted look with regard to growth.

Usually, with small ponds in the 2nd or 3rd year, one notices that the fish can begin to stunt or even perish in too small ponds.

It does sound like that fish will not discontinue bullying, since you've already tried to experiment. Do no put another resident through a stressful life with your bully. If possible give him away to someone with bigger fish or humanely euthanize him. It really seems he's the one with the neurological problem.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would get rid of the bully too ,,
Koi are friendly fish and you want them to enjoy there home

Reaction score
Thanks. I was hoping there was such a thing as "The Koi Whisperer"! I hate to get rid of my koi that I've had for over a year, but I guess that's the only solution. Now he's picking on the new goldfish.

Any ideas on how to find him a new home? Maybe donate him to the local fish/aquarium store?

Reaction score
LOL! Koi Whisperer! Now THAT would be a good show!

Typically fish stores don't take fish back--and they should not because there's all sorts of diseases that can be passed back to others.

Put a posting on craig's list, and I bet someone will snap him up. Just mention that he will need to be in the pond with fish that are 12" or larger because he's a tough guy.

If not, a humane death is what he'll need. Here's my method:

You get cheap clear alcohol such as vodka or gin and put it in a bag or container. You don't need much in there, just enough to cover the fish. The alcohol immediately gets into the fish'es gills and it just starts to drift off to sleep and within seconds it is out to the big fish heaven in the sky.

I'm sure others have an equally humane manner that doesn't require tapping into your liquor cabinet. LOL! Just don't do something like slapping the fish against a rock or hitting it with something, as that is painful and not humane. I can't tell you how many times I've seen crazy folks do that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We have a place that sells and takes Koi back. I'm sure they quarantine them before re-selling them. A lot of people in colder climates or smaller ponds buy them for the summer than take them back in the winter. I was amazed that they took them back also. But, I would definitely get rid of the bully. A pond is suppose to be peaceful. Craigslist is probably the best way to go.

Reaction score
OOoof! Wow! That would be a first I've heard of that. I believe Petsmart will also take a fish back within a 10 day period if something is wrong.

Personally, I don't trust a shop to quarantine a fish (and it would need to be for at least 60 days to do it properly), and I just feel that it leaves one open to the possibility of contracting some disease or gosh knows what in the pond.

When you pick up a fish or plants on craig's list, I think most folks know they are taking a risk, but often the "free" price gets 'em over the hump of worries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When people take them back at the end of summer, they don't get sold until the next summer. So they are in their tanks all winter. I'm sure if they had anything, it will show up before being re-sold the next summer. Plus, they inspect them before taking them back. I actually think it's pretty cool. People who don't want the hassle of winterizing their ponds can just take the fish back and shut the pond down. Some of these people pay to have their ponds cleaned out in the Spring than buy new Koi.

Reaction score
interesting. And when they return the fish does the pond store pay them anything for their return? I'm assuming they don't. If that's the case, the pond shop makes money hand over fist since they don't have the buy new inventory, they just keep reselling what they get back. That's quite a business! It's sort of like a fish pawn shop! LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm not sure about getting anything for bringing them back. They always have new inventory every Spring. I go there and they have a lot of babies. That's where I bought mine. But, yeah .. if they don't give the people who return them any money, they make a lot off of doing it. They have babies up to big fish. I'm sure the big ones are re-sold ones. Fish pawn shop .... lol Never thought of it that way ...

Reaction score
They actually wouldn't be selling the koi, but "renting" them. Not a bad way to make some money.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yes, the babies that I bought were 2 for $25. Than they go up to $30, $50 and $90 a piece ..... depending on size. So, the babies bought the first year would sell for $30 a piece the next year. Great business idea. People must not of had any issues with it, they are still doing it. And as I said, the company keeps them all winter, so if any of them had anything, it would show up before Spring.

Ask a Question