A couple fish pics

Reaction score
Hello,
In the last few weeks I've been seeing baby fish, 3 so far. They are about 1-1/2" long. One is orange and black, slowly changing to all light orange. The other 2 are greenish. I found one in my plant ring and took a pic. It would be cool if he stayed green. Do you think it is of goldfish/koi varity or did I get another suprise that came with my plants again.
Attached is a pic of "Greenie" and another pic of a shubunkin that got stuck in my plant ring.

Maybe I should be a hand model :razz:

Attachments

• green baby.jpg
    green baby.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 361
  • shubunkin.jpg
    shubunkin.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 291

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like a little goldfish to me that just hasn't changed color yet. Sometimes it can take a long time for them to change.

Reaction score
UHHHH, Help me, Help Me, Fish out of Water!!!!!!!
LOL don't worry, they were out just long enough for a picture. It's amazing how much bigger they look when you see them out of the water.

Looks like a little goldfish to me that just hasn't changed color yet. Sometimes it can take a long time for them to change.
I didn't know they would start out green. The last batch of babies all started out black. 2 turned orange and white and one stayed black.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Kinda looks like a brownish green to me but who knows what it will end up being color wise...........maybe it will stay that way, just have to wait and see. Maybe you see it greener than I do? Some people see colors differently :rolleyes:
check this out :razz: http://www.colour-bl...ur-test-plates/

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Haven't you heard? Green is the new black!
(God, but I hate that expression!)
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Taken from "Goldfish - Wikipedia"- When found in nature, C. gibelio are olive green. Introduction of goldfish into the wild can cause problems for native species. Goldfish can hybridize with certain other species of carp. Within three breeding generations, the vast majority of the hybrid spawn revert to their natural olive color. The mutation that gave rise to the domestic goldfish is also known from other cyprinid species, such as common carp and tench. Koi may also interbreed with the goldfish to produce a sterile hybrid fish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yeah jw I am color normal! sort of always knew that.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep in the color area I too am normal...........no comments from the peanut gallery on other area's of my life :rolleyes:

Reaction score
I have to agree. The color area is the only area where I'm normal too. BUT there are people that would debate that.

Thanks for the good info.

The reason I asked, the guy at the pond store says they get all kind of surprises with there plants. I though I might have got one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Some fish are blue and appear green. They have a thin transparent outer layer of yellow and the fish looks green to our eyes. Blue+Yellow=Green! Also shubunkins that appear blue are really not blue at all. The calico nature of their scales creates interference with the light that we see and makes them appear blue. Re your fish. The fish that hide best are naturally selected over generations so they may start out one color to survive when they are fry and change colors later. Unless you have been breeding wild goldfish most likely it will change colors.

Ask a Question